Sell also: advantageous, allow, apt, capture, conquer, earmark, harmonious, pertinent, reserve, seize, suitable, suited
• Verb: give or assign a resource to a particular person or cause; examples: "I will earmark this money for your research", "She sets aside time for meditation every day"
• Verb: take possession of by force, as after an invasion; examples: "the invaders seized the land and property of the inhabitants", "The army seized the town", "The militia captured the castle"
• Adj: suitable for a particular person or place or condition etc; examples: "a book not appropriate for children", "a funeral conducted the appropriate solemnity", "it seems that an apology is appropriate"
• Adj: appropriate for achieving a particular end; implies a lack of concern for fairness
• Adj: meant or adapted for an occasion or use; examples: "a tractor suitable (or fit) for heavy duty", "not an appropriate (or fit) time for flippancy"
• Adj: suitable and fitting; example: "the tailored clothes were harmonious with her military bearing"
• Adj: being of striking appropriateness and pertinence; examples: "the successful copywriter is a master of apposite and evocative verbal images", "an apt reply"
And judging what is appropriate or not appropriate for a country, I think it is important in particular in judging what is the appropriate economic policy framework, one should take into account the overall political environment and the institutional framework within which economic policy operates.
I am disappointed that my 25 years in public life have apparently not earned me the benefit of the doubt, but I understand that Senator Mitchell's report has raised many serious questions. I plan to publicly answer all of those questions at the appropriate time in the appropriate way. I only ask that in the meantime people not rush to judgment.
I think a story should take as long to tell as it is appropriate to that particular story.
Personally, I have nothing against work, particularly when performed, quietly and unobtrusively, by someone else. I just don't happen to think it's an appropriate subject for an "ethic."
It's appropriate to celebrate public service, and the thoughtful people who choose to serve. They symbolize what is good and decent about this historic citizen legislature, and we thank them.
I think it's appropriate for the international community in situations like this to intervene in Kosovo. I am in favor of an intervention. On some level, you have to say that at least somebody is doing something.
Call things by their right names - Glass of brandy and water! That is the current, but not the appropriate name; ask for a glass of liquid fire and distilled damnation.
Actually I can't imagine Nato troops on the ground and I think it's also important to send that very clear message to the UN and other organisations right now so that appropriate plans can be in place in due time and the Gaddafi regime can collapse soon.
Caring for children is a dance between setting appropriate limits as caretakers and avoiding unnecessary power struggles that result in unhappiness.
I am going to be working on bathroom fittings for a company in the USA, and then I thought it was appropriate to simplify the fittings and, thus, lowering the cost.
I don't listen to music when I write, but I do turn on appropriate music when I read portions of my manuscripts back to myself - kind of like adding a soundtrack to help shape mood.
There's such a thing as theater discipline. One player doesn't appropriate another's inventions.
As Mayor, I will fully support my Arts Commission and its professional selection committees so that they can commission a full range of public art that is daring and, when appropriate, daringly traditional.
I was trying to take the band in a direction that I thought was appropriate, and Roth was trying to take the band in more of a Las Vegas direction. And there he is.
Thus you are just not because you give what is owed, but because you do what is appropriate to you as the highest good.
Learn to say "I don't know." If used when appropriate, it will be often.
I hate the way market forces try to separate us out in to the appropriate demographic - basically in order to sell us things. We need to find stories that we can enjoy together, not separately.
We had a single find of BSE in this country. And we believe that what we're doing is appropriate action taken in an abundance of caution under the circumstances. And I believe it's the right thing to do.
Yes. I don't think it would be appropriate at this point to raise taxes on anyone, certainly not in 2011.
The challenge as we saw in the Nigerian project was to restructure the economy decisively in the direction of a modern free market as an appropriate environment for cultivation of freedom and democracy and the natural emergence of a new social order.