• Adv: in the area or vicinity; examples: "a few spectators standing about", "hanging around", "waited around for the next flight"
• Adv: by a circular or circuitous route; examples: "He came all the way around the base", "the road goes around the pond"
• Adv: to or among many different places or in no particular direction; examples: "wandering about with no place to go", "people were rushing about", "news gets around (or about)", "traveled around in Asia", "he needs advice from someone who's been around", "she sleeps around"
• Adv: in a circle or circular motion; example: "The wheels are spinning around"
• Adv: (of quantities) imprecise but fairly close to correct; examples: "lasted approximately an hour", "in just about a minute", "he's about 30 years old", "I've had about all I can stand", "we meet about once a month", "some forty people came", "weighs around a hundred pounds", "roughly $3,000", "holds 3 gallons, more or less", "20 or so people were at the party"
• Adv: in or to a reversed position or direction; examples: "about face", "suddenly she turned around"
• Adv: to a particular destination either specified or understood; examples: "she came around to see me", "I invited them around for supper"
• Adv: all around or on all sides; examples: "dirty clothes lying around (or about)", "let's look about for help", "There were trees growing all around", "she looked around her"
• Adv: in circumference; examples: "the trunk is ten feet around", "the pond is two miles around"
• Adv: from beginning to end; throughout; examples: "It rains all year round on Skye", "frigid weather the year around"
I have asked the village blacksmith to forge golden chains to tie our ankles together. I have gathered all the gay ribbons in the world to wind around and around and around and around and around and around again around our two waists.
With the film around for 25 years and the show being around even longer - still running and continuing to fill house all around the word - it's really an exciting and wonderful thing to be part of that.
Family businesses that have been around for generations are suddenly closing their doors, and while I'm not comparing my situation or my family's situations to theirs, the fact that my father's business, which has been around for 30 years, might not be around, it gives me a perspective that makes me want to fight even harder for a lot of people.
My father wasn't around when I was a kid, and I used to always say, 'Why me? Why don't I have a father? Why isn't he around? Why did he leave my mother?' But as I got older I looked deeper and thought, 'I don't know what my father was going through, but if he was around all the time, would I be who I am today?'
It's easy to be lazy when there's food lying around backstage or there's a fast-food joint a couple blocks away. But if you walk a little further, ask around a bit, of course there are exciting things to discover.
As long as I live, I will never forget that day 21 years ago when I raised my hand and took the oath of citizenship. Do you know how proud I was? I was so proud that I walked around with an American flag around my shoulders all day long.
As I walk around, I have met 70-year-old women who live on the Upper West Side who love the show. And I met a couple in Kansas - a couple of truck drivers who drove around together - who loved it. It's popular all over the place and definitely in the gay community.
Ten percent of the big fish still remain. There are still some blue whales. There are still some krill in Antarctica. There are a few oysters in Chesapeake Bay. Half the coral reefs are still in pretty good shape, a jeweled belt around the middle of the planet. There's still time, but not a lot, to turn things around.
We must never forget that many around the globe are denied the basic rights we enjoy as Americans. If we are to continue enjoying these privileges and freedoms we must accept our mission of expanding democracy around the globe.
If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.