• Noun: the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on; examples: "he deserves a good kick in the butt", "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
• Adj: having the lower score or lagging position in a contest; examples: "behind by two points", "the 8th inning found the home team trailing"
• Adv: in or to or toward the rear; examples: "he followed behind", "seen from behind, the house is more imposing than it is from the front", "the final runners were far behind"
• Adv: remaining in a place or condition that has been left or departed from; examples: "when he died he left much unfinished work behind", "left a large family behind", "the children left their books behind", "he took off with a squeal of tires and left the other cars far behind"
• Adv: of timepieces; examples: "the clock is almost an hour slow", "my watch is running behind"
• Adv: in or into an inferior position; examples: "fell behind in his studies", "their business was lagging behind in the competition for customers"
• Adv: in debt; examples: "he fell behind with his mortgage payments", "a month behind in the rent", "a company that has been run behindhand for years", "in arrears with their utility bills"
I think behind closed doors people behave differently no matter what period we're looking at, because people have to stand up straight in public but can slouch behind closed doors - can you imagine wearing those corsets?
We have 1.8 million Americans behind bars today at Local, State and Federal level. In the federal system, which has doubled in the last ten years, over 110,000 people behind bars in the Federal system, probably two-thirds are there for drug related reason.
The epic poet has behind him a tradition of matter and a tradition of style; and that is what every other poet has behind him too; only, for the epic poet, tradition is rather narrower, rather more strictly compelling.
Truly what the Emmys are about are the machine behind them, and Oscars are the same way, where if you have a big enough machine behind you, you get nominated, because truly how many of the best performances actually win...not many.
The dark shadow we seem to see in the distance is not really a mountain ahead, but the shadow of the mountain behind - a shadow from the past thrown forward into our future. It is a dark sludge of historical sectarianism. We can leave it behind us if we wish.
I preferred not to be laden down with a big instrument. If you're behind a guitar, you get used to being behind a guitar, and you don't really perform because you can't. I wanted to be able to just hold on to the mike and sing.