• Noun: someone who bets
• Noun: a superior person having claim to precedence; example: "the common man has been kept in his place by his betters"
• Noun: the superior one of two alternatives; example: "chose the better of the two"
• Verb: surpass in excellence; examples: "She bettered her own record", "break a record"
• Verb: to make better; example: "The editor improved the manuscript with his changes"
• Verb: get better; example: "The weather improved toward evening"
• Adj: (comparative of `good') superior to another (of the same class or set or kind) in excellence or quality or desirability or suitability; more highly skilled than another; examples: "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din", "a better coat", "a better type of car", "a suit with a better fit", "a better chance of success", "produced a better mousetrap", "she's better in math than in history"
• Adj: (comparative of `good') changed for the better in health or fitness; examples: "her health is better now", "I feel better"
• Adj: (comparative and superlative of `well') wiser or more advantageous and hence advisable; examples: "it would be better to speak to him", "the White House thought it best not to respond"
• Adj: more than half; example: "argued for the better part of an hour"
• Adv: comparative of `well'; in a better or more excellent manner or more advantageously or attractively or to a greater degree etc.; examples: "She had never sung better", "a deed better left undone", "better suited to the job"
• Adv: from a position of superiority or authority; examples: "father knows best", "I know better."
Now is the moment when we can stand up and say, 'I'm an American. I make my destiny. And we deserve better! My children deserve better! My family deserves better. My country deserves better!' So here we stand. Americans have a choice.
I've always thought of myself as more of a character actress. I've tried to do different things, but I've always been under the radar and that's how I like it. I've been really blessed to work this long and I just hope I continue to get better and better and better and better.
If you're going to be successful, you better have a goal, you better find really good people, better understand where all the money's coming from. And you better measure the living daylights out of it.
Instead of just giving lip service to improving our schools, I will actually put the kids first and the teachers union behind in giving our kids better teachers, better options and better choices for a better future.
The West has been able to bring Afghanistan a much better health service, better education, better roads, a better economy, though some have benefited more; some have benefited less from that economic well-being in Afghanistan.
America does not want vulgarity and sexual exploitation to be our values and we do not want the world to think those are our standards. We want to be a better nation and a better people, with better standards.
Despite what anti-aging ads say, growing older can be better. I feel better in my skin, 100 percent. You have greater effects of gravity, but the better sense of yourself you have is something I wouldn't trade. Women who lie about their age - 'why?'
Time is the most valuable thing on earth: time to think, time to act, time to extend our fraternal relations, time to become better men, time to become better women, time to become better and more independent citizens.
I have respect for what other people believe. What I believe in my own life is that it's a search for how I can do things better, whether it's being a better man or a better father or finding ways for myself to improve.
Better biofuels are a really big deal. That means we can precisely engineer the molecules in the fuel chain and optimize them along the way. So, if all goes well, they're going to have designer bugs in warm vats that are eating and digesting sugars to excrete better biofuels. I guess that's better living through bugs.