• Adj: above average in size or number or quantity or magnitude or extent; examples: "a large city", "set out for the big city", "a large sum", "a big (or large) barn", "a large family", "big businesses", "a big expenditure", "a large number of newspapers", "a big group of scientists", "large areas of the world"
• Adj: significant; example: "graduation was a big day in his life"
• Adj: conspicuous in position or importance; examples: "a big figure in the movement", "big man on campus", "he's very large in financial circles", "a prominent citizen"
• Adj: very intense; examples: "a bad headache", "in a big rage", "had a big (or bad) shock", "a bad earthquake", "a bad storm"
• Adj: loud and firm; examples: "a big voice", "big bold piano sounds"
• Adj: prodigious; examples: "big spender", "big eater", "heavy investor"
• Adj: (of animals) fully developed; examples: "an adult animal", "a grown woman"
• Adj: marked by intense physical force; example: "a big wind"
• Adj: feeling self-importance; examples: "too big for his britches", "had a swelled head", "he was swelled with pride"
• Adj: exhibiting self-importance; example: "big talk"
• Adj: generous and understanding and tolerant; examples: "a heart big enough to hold no grudges", "that's very big of you to be so forgiving", "a large and generous spirit", "a large heart", "magnanimous toward his enemies"
• Adj: given or giving freely; examples: "was a big tipper", "the bounteous goodness of God", "bountiful compliments", "a freehanded host", "a handsome allowance", "Saturday's child is loving and giving", "a liberal backer of the arts", "a munificent gift", "her fond and openhanded grandfather"
• Adj: in an advanced stage of pregnancy; examples: "was big with child", "was great with child"
• Adv: extremely well; example: "his performance went over big"
• Adv: in a boastful manner; example: "he talked big all evening"
• Adv: on a grand scale; example: "think big"
• Adv: in a major way; example: "the play failed big at the box office"
Republicans have been very successful. There are three things Americans don't like: big unions, big government and big corporations. So Republicans go after big government and big unions, and only talk about small businesses.
We support too big to fail. We want the government to be able to take down a big bank like JP Morgan and it could be done. We think Dodd-Frank, which we supported parts of, gave the FDIC the authority to take down a big bank.
So when you go up against the Far Right you go up against the big financial special interests like the Halliburtons of the world, the big oil companies, the big energy companies who work so hard to rip us off.
Anytime something starts to feel like a popularity contest or not about the music, I'd rather just not be involved. I'm not a big high-fiver. That really gets to people around me when we have a No. 1 or something big happen. I'm not a big, 'Let's go have a party about it!'
Most individuals have always thought themselves not big enough or significant enough to have an effect on the whole planet, a notion which conversely made them think they could afford big arrogance and big greed over its resources.
It takes a big idea to attract the attention of consumers and get them to buy your product. Unless your advertising contains a big idea, it will pass like a ship in the night. I doubt if more than one campaign in a hundred contains a big idea.
In the late-'80s, there was a big push to make American football big in Scotland. The Super Bowl was on TV, but it didn't really catch on. When I was a kid, though, I became a big Miami Dolphins fan. I don't really know why - I just liked the logo, I guess. I didn't really know what was going on.
Bud Johnson, God rest his soul of fame, a tenor saxophonist. Bud was always a big, big, big booster of mine and he always when I first met Bud in Pittsburgh when he came through there, he heard me sing and he wanted me to come to Chicago.
If you met my dad, I think a lot of things would be put to rest. Because my pops is a pretty silly guy. But, Coldcut, they're based in the U.K. I'm a big fan of jazz music, so American music has had a big influence on what I listen to.