• Adj: definite but not specified or identified; examples: "set aside a certain sum each week", "to a certain degree", "certain breeds do not make good pets", "certain members have not paid their dues", "a certain popular teacher", "a certain Mrs. Jones"
• Adj: having or feeling no doubt or uncertainty; confident and assured; examples: "felt certain of success", "was sure (or certain) she had seen it", "was very sure in his beliefs", "sure of her friends"
• Adj: established beyond doubt or question; definitely known; examples: "what is certain is that every effect must have a cause", "it is certain that they were on the bus", "his fate is certain", "the date for the invasion is certain"
• Adj: certain to occur; destined or inevitable; examples: "he was certain to fail", "his fate is certain", "In this life nothing is certain but death and taxes"- Benjamin Frankli", "he faced certain death", "sudden but sure regret", "he is sure to win"
• Adj: established irrevocably; example: "his fate is sealed"
• Adj: reliable in operation or effect; examples: "a quick and certain remedy", "a sure way to distinguish the two", "wood dust is a sure sign of termites"
• Adj: exercising or taking care great enough to bring assurance; examples: "be certain to disconnect the iron when you are through", "be sure to lock the doors"
I used to watch the world as if it was a performance and I would realize that certain things that people did moved me, and certain things didn't move me, and I tried to analyze, even at that age, six and seven and eight, why I was moved by certain things they did.
There are, for example, exemptions in FOIA in which the government can withhold certain kinds of information, and the courts have recognized that there is certain documentation that do deserve protection, that certain privileges do apply and do deserve protection.
If you want to be certain, you should never get married. You should never change jobs. In fact, you might as well just stay home. Because I don't know anybody who is certain. That need to be certain is just procrastination.
I got out of the Army - in my world - I came to New York, for instance, when the civil rights movement was just beginning, and that created a certain energy, a certain rumble, a certain impetus for black actors.
There were times in my career I went a little further than I wanted because of expectations. Doing certain things onstage when children were in the audience, wearing certain clothes, singing certain lyrics.
I think one of the things that language poets are very involved with is getting away from conventional ideas of beauty, because those ideas contain a certain attitude toward women, certain attitudes toward sex, certain attitudes toward race, etc.
People buy a game because they like the game and they want to play the game. And there are certain characters in games that people like, obviously. I don't know if a certain character's voice or lack of a certain character's voice can cause somebody to buy or not buy a game.
I think you can judge from somebody's actions a kind of a stability and sense of purpose perhaps created by strong religious roots. I mean, there's a certain patience, a certain discipline, I think, that religion helps you achieve.
Some autistic children cannot stand the sound of certain voices. I have come across cases where teachers tell me that certain children have problems with their voice or another person's voice. This problem tends to be related to high-pitched ladies' voices.
Everybody knows how fallible memory can sometimes be. You remember certain fragments precisely, but as soon as you try to join the fragments together, for a story, there is a certain - not falsification, but a shifting.
I do have a stunt double because there are certain things that they won't let me do. Like they won't set fire to me. They won't like let me jump off a 20 story building. There are certain big stunts that it's just impossible to get insurance to let me do, but for the most part I'd say I do probably 75% of my stuff.
There is a certain logic to events that pushes you along a certain path. You go along the path that feels the most true, and most according to the principles that are guiding you, and that's the way the decisions are made.