Sell also: call, exclaim, holler, outcry, scream, shout, watchword, weep, yell
• Noun: a loud utterance; often in protest or opposition; example: "the speaker was interrupted by loud cries from the rear of the audience"
• Noun: a loud utterance of emotion (especially when inarticulate); examples: "a cry of rage", "a yell of pain"
• Noun: a slogan used to rally support for a cause; examples: "a cry to arms", "our watchword will be `democracy'"
• Noun: a fit of weeping; example: "had a good cry"
• Noun: the characteristic utterance of an animal; example: "animal cries filled the night"
• Verb: utter a sudden loud cry; examples: "she cried with pain when the doctor inserted the needle", "I yelled to her from the window but she couldn't hear me"
• Verb: shed tears because of sadness, rage, or pain; examples: "She cried bitterly when she heard the news of his death", "The girl in the wheelchair wept with frustration when she could not get up the stairs"
• Verb: utter aloud; often with surprise, horror, or joy; examples: "`I won!' he exclaimed", "`Help!' she cried", "`I'm here,' the mother shouted when she saw her child looking lost"
• Verb: proclaim or announce in public; examples: "before we had newspapers, a town crier would cry the news", "He cried his merchandise in the market square"
• Verb: demand immediate action; example: "This situation is crying for attention"
• Verb: utter a characteristic sound; example: "The cat was crying"
• Verb: bring into a particular state by crying; example: "The little boy cried himself to sleep"
I don't cry America. I do not cry. That was a once in a lifetime event. I do not cry, do you understand? I don't cry, okay?
The reason that MGM hired Bobby for Our Gang was that they could look at him and say, cry, and he'd cry, and not many kids can do that unless they really want to cry.
I love 'Glee.' I cry all the time when I watch 'Glee' because I don't know if it's satire or melodrama and that makes me feel like the writing is aware of itself, and that makes it okay to cry.
I knew Jimmy Dean. He tested for 'Battle Cry'. Paul Newman tested for 'Battle Cry'. I did nine tests to finally get that role.
Prohibition makes you want to cry into your beer and denies you the beer to cry into.
I often want to cry. That is the only advantage women have over men - at least they can cry.
For college seniors there should be a week of being allowed to cry. Just break down and cry because you are scared and don't know what's next.
Beware of men who cry. It's true that men who cry are sensitive to and in touch with feelings, but the only feelings they tend to be sensitive to and in touch with are their own.
When you're acting and you need to cry, you want to put yourself in a position where you're trying not to cry, because that is generally what people try and do. They try to hold on to their emotions, they don't want to lose them.
Sometimes guys need to cry. Some hockey players think they're too tough to cry.
I'm worth more dead than alive. Don't cry for me after I'm gone; cry for me now.
My entire soul is a cry, and all my work is a commentary on that cry.
The thing about kids is that they express emotion. They don't hold back. If they want to cry, they cry, and if they are in a good mood, they're in a good mood.
I have deep emotions about the American people. If I were to cry for anything, I would cry for them and the policies that they're about to face.
Boast is always a cry of despair, except in the young it is a cry of hope.
I remember in 1990, there were five of us making $3 million a year. When guys passed us, we didn't cry. Why would we cry? You didn't get mad when someone got $6 million. Or $8 million.
The cry comes from the friends of the school-room, from those who would give the State a strong, great, noble citizenship, for protection from the curse of drunkenness. This cry should be heard and answered by every lover of his fellow-men, no matter where his home may be.
Every renaissance comes to the world with a cry, the cry of the human spirit to be free.
I guess they're tough jokes. But there's lots of things you either laugh or cry at. And you just can't cry.
I can see in your eyes, I can see in your faces, I can see you cry. But what I want to say, there's no reason to cry. Do not, in the name of peace, go in the streets and riot.