• Noun: a particular society at a particular time and place; example: "early Mayan civilization"
• Noun: the tastes in art and manners that are favored by a social group
• Noun: all the knowledge and values shared by a society
• Noun: (biology) the growing of microorganisms in a nutrient medium (such as gelatin or agar); example: "the culture of cells in a Petri dish"
• Noun: a highly developed state of perfection; having a flawless or impeccable quality; examples: "they performed with great polish", "I admired the exquisite refinement of his prose", "almost an inspiration which gives to all work that finish which is almost art"--Joseph Conra"
• Noun: the attitudes and behavior that are characteristic of a particular social group or organization; examples: "the developing drug culture", "the reason that the agency is doomed to inaction has something to do with the FBI culture"
• Noun: the raising of plants or animals; example: "the culture of oysters"
We should never denigrate any other culture but rather help people to understand the relationship between their own culture and the dominant culture. When you understand another culture or language, it does not mean that you have to lose your own culture.
When I grew up in the '60s, we were actually dominated by this, you know, sort of conforming '50s culture, even though we were like trying to express our own culture, like, the dominant culture was the thing that was forming us. And I think that that's true today.
Goth culture, as mired in the past as it is, even it goes through changes, so Goth when I was growing up is not what it is now. When I think of Goth culture as it is at the moment I think of mall culture.
The Holocaust committed by the Nazis turned this country, where most of the European Jews used to live and where their culture used to flourish, into a massive grave. This is why initiatives to revive Jewish culture in Poland is so important.
France, and the whole of Europe have a great culture and an amazing history. Most important thing though is that people there know how to live! In America they've forgotten all about it. I'm afraid that the American culture is a disaster.