• Noun: the event of dying or departure from life; examples: "her death came as a terrible shock", "upon your decease the capital will pass to your grandchildren"
• Noun: the permanent end of all life functions in an organism or part of an organism; example: "the animal died a painful death"
• Noun: the time at which life ends; continuing until dead; examples: "she stayed until his death", "a struggle to the last"
• Noun: the personification of death; example: "Death walked the streets of the plague-bound city"
• Noun: the absence of life or state of being dead; example: "he seemed more content in death than he had ever been in life"
• Noun: the time when something ends; examples: "it was the death of all his plans", "a dying of old hopes"
• Noun: the act of killing; example: "he had two deaths on his conscience"
• Noun: a final state; examples: "he came to a bad end", "the so-called glorious experiment came to an inglorious end"
It is old age, rather than death, that is to be contrasted with life. Old age is life's parody, whereas death transforms life into a destiny: in a way it preserves it by giving it the absolute dimension. Death does away with time.
For those who live neither with religious consolations about death nor with a sense of death (or of anything else) as natural, death is the obscene mystery, the ultimate affront, the thing that cannot be controlled. It can only be denied.
For any culture which is primarily concerned with meaning, the study of death - the only certainty that life holds for us - must be central, for an understanding of death is the key to liberation in life.
What then is tragedy? In the Elizabethan period it was assumed that a play ending in death was a tragedy, but in recent years we have come to understand that to live on is sometimes far more tragic than death.
If you have only one passion in life - football - and you pursue it to the exclusion of everything else, it becomes very dangerous. When you stop doing this activity it is as though you are dying. The death of that activity is a death in itself.
When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.