• Verb: state emphatically and authoritatively; example: "He declared that he needed more money to carry out the task he was charged with"
• Verb: announce publicly or officially; example: "The President declared war"
• Verb: state firmly; example: "He declared that he was innocent"
• Verb: declare to be; examples: "She was declared incompetent", "judge held that the defendant was innocent"
• Verb: authorize payments of; example: "declare dividends"
• Verb: designate (a trump suit or no-trump) with the final bid of a hand
• Verb: make a declaration (of dutiable goods) to a customs official; example: "Do you have anything to declare?"
• Verb: proclaim one's support, sympathy, or opinion for or against; example: "His wife declared at once for moving to the West Coast"
To declare that in the administration of criminal law the end justifies the means to declare that the Government may commit crimes in order to secure conviction of a private criminal would bring terrible retribution.
It has never demonstrated any desire to provide humane treatment to captured Americans. If anything, the murders of Nicholas Berg and Daniel Pearl declare al Qaeda's intentions to kill even innocent civilian prisoners.
At every election, my vote goes to the candidate less likely to declare war. You're dropping hugely expensive pieces of exploding metal on a population. America deserves the president it gets, whether the country votes for them or allows their vote to be stolen, and the least we can do is to elect someone who won't do that to other people.
Iran also has an extensive missile development programme. Iranian officials declare that the range of their modified Shahab-3 missiles is 2,000km, putting allied countries such as Turkey, Greece, Romania, and Bulgaria within reach.