• Noun: the 3rd planet from the sun; the planet we live on; examples: "the Earth moves around the sun", "he sailed around the world"
• Noun: the loose soft material that makes up a large part of the land surface; example: "they dug into the earth outside the church"
• Noun: the solid part of the earth's surface; examples: "the plane turned away from the sea and moved back over land", "the earth shook for several minutes", "he dropped the logs on the ground"
• Noun: the abode of mortals (as contrasted with heaven or hell); example: "it was hell on earth"
• Noun: once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
• Noun: the concerns of this life as distinguished from heaven and the afterlife; example: "they consider the church to be independent of the world"
• Noun: a connection between an electrical device and a large conducting body, such as the earth (which is taken to be at zero voltage)
• Verb: hide in the earth like a hunted animal
• Verb: connect to the earth; example: "earth the circuit"
I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe?
Those who know that the consensus of many centuries has sanctioned the conception that the earth remains at rest in the middle of the heavens as its center, would, I reflected, regard it as an insane pronouncement if I made the opposite assertion that the earth moves.
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
If the Earth could be made to rotate twice as fast, managers would get twice as much done. If the Earth could be made to rotate twenty times as fast, everyone else would get twice as much done since all the managers would fly off.
All the principles of heaven and earth are living inside you. Life itself is truth, and this will never change. Everything in heaven and earth breathes. Breath is the thread that ties creation together.
To see the earth as it truly is, small and blue in that eternal silence where it floats, is to see riders on the earth together, brothers on that bright loveliness in the eternal cold - brothers who know now they are truly brothers.
Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is just like roads across the earth. For actually the earth had no roads to begin with, but when many men pass one way, a road is made.