• Noun: the event of something burning (often destructive); example: "they lost everything in the fire"
• Noun: the process of combustion of inflammable materials producing heat and light and (often) smoke; example: "fire was one of our ancestors' first discoveries"
• Noun: the act of firing weapons or artillery at an enemy; examples: "hold your fire until you can see the whites of their eyes", "they retreated in the face of withering enemy fire"
• Noun: a fireplace in which a relatively small fire is burning; example: "they sat by the fire and talked"
• Noun: intense adverse criticism; examples: "Clinton directed his fire at the Republican Party", "the government has come under attack", "don't give me any flak"
• Noun: feelings of great warmth and intensity; example: "he spoke with great ardor"
• Noun: once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
• Noun: a severe trial; example: "he went through fire and damnation"
• Verb: start firing a weapon
• Verb: cause to go off; examples: "fire a gun", "fire a bullet"
• Verb: bake in a kiln so as to harden; example: "fire pottery"
• Verb: terminate the employment of; examples: "The boss fired his secretary today", "The company terminated 25% of its workers"
• Verb: go off or discharge; example: "The gun fired"
• Verb: drive out or away by or as if by fire; examples: "The soldiers were fired", "Surrender fires the cold skepticism"
• Verb: call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses); examples: "arouse pity", "raise a smile", "evoke sympathy"
• Verb: destroy by fire; example: "They burned the house and his diaries"
• Verb: provide with fuel; example: "Oil fires the furnace"
So there was a fire inside me. And that fire inside you, it can be turned into a negative form or a positive form. And I gradually realised that I had this fire and that it had to be used in a positive way.
If there is illness in your home, do you not need a doctor from outside? If your home catches on fire, do you not need fire fighters from outside? God has sent me to America in the role of a doctor, in the role of a fire fighter.
For if any man who never saw fire proved by satisfactory arguments that fire burns. His hearer's mind would never be satisfied, nor would he avoid the fire until he put his hand in it that he might learn by experiment what argument taught.
I was at this casino minding my own business, and this guy came up to me and said, "You're gonna have to move, you're blocking a fire exit." As though if there was a fire, I wasn't gonna run. If you're flammible and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
Time is the substance from which I am made. Time is a river which carries me along, but I am the river; it is a tiger that devours me, but I am the tiger; it is a fire that consumes me, but I am the fire.
Africa is a continent in flames. And deep down, if we really accepted that Africans were equal to us, we would all do more to put the fire out. We're standing around with watering cans, when what we really need is the fire brigade.
I was like any new bride, who said, 'I'm going to cook for my man.' In fact, once I started a small kitchen fire in a pan. Smoke was pouring from the pan, and I got really scared. Right next to our stove is a small fire extinguisher. You know, easy access.
In all parts of the Old World, as well as of the New, it was evident that Columbus had kindled a fire in every mariner's heart. That fire was the harbinger of a new era, for it was not to be extinguished.
Most of the time, I grill over high heat. I like things to move fast. I like the sound and smell of a very hot fire. I gravitate towards dishes that you can get on and off the grill as quickly as possible. After a while, you'll know without thinking about it how hot the fire is.