• Noun: the first or highest in an ordering or series; example: "He wanted to be the first"
• Noun: the first element in a countable series; example: "the first of the month"
• Noun: the time at which something is supposed to begin; examples: "they got an early start", "she knew from the get-go that he was the man for her"
• Noun: the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed at first of the bases in the infield (counting counterclockwise from home plate)
• Noun: an honours degree of the highest class
• Noun: the lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle; used to start a car moving
• Adj: preceding all others in time or space or degree; examples: "the first house on the right", "the first day of spring", "his first political race", "her first baby", "the first time", "the first meetings of the new party", "the first phase of his training"
• Adj: indicating the beginning unit in a series
• Adj: serving to set in motion; examples: "the magazine's inaugural issue", "the initiative phase in the negotiations", "an initiatory step toward a treaty", "his first (or maiden) speech in Congress", "the liner's maiden voyage"
• Adj: serving to begin; examples: "the beginning canto of the poem", "the first verse"
• Adj: ranking above all others; examples: "was first in her class", "the foremost figure among marine artists", "the top graduate"
• Adj: highest in pitch or chief among parts or voices or instruments or orchestra sections; examples: "first soprano", "the first violin section", "played first horn"
• Adj: being the gear producing the lowest drive speed; example: "use first gear on steep hills"
• Adv: before anything else; example: "first we must consider the garter snake"
• Adv: the initial time; example: "when Felix first saw a garter snake"
• Adv: before another in time, space, or importance; examples: "I was here first", "let's do this job first"
• Adv: prominently forward; example: "he put his best foot foremost"
Religion is part of the human make-up. It's also part of our cultural and intellectual history. Religion was our first attempt at literature, the texts, our first attempt at cosmology, making sense of where we are in the universe, our first attempt at health care, believing in faith healing, our first attempt at philosophy.
You don't want to be first, right? You want to be second or third. You don't want to be - Facebook is not the first in social media. They're the third, right? Similarly, you know, if you look at Steve Jobs' history, he's never been first.
Although the circumstances of our lives may seem very disengaged, with me standing here as the First Lady of the United States of America and you just getting through school, I want you to know we have very much in common. For nothing in my life ever would have predicted that I would standing here as the first African-American First Lady.
You know, when you get your first asparagus, or your first acorn squash, or your first really good tomato of the season, those are the moments that define the cook's year. I get more excited by that than anything else.
I think we are living in selfish times. I'm the first one to say that I'm the most selfish. We live in the so-called 'first world,' and we may be first in a lot of things like technology, but we are behind in empathy.
If I had to compare any of the two, I'd compare the first one in Edmonton, the first one here in New York because it had been so long in New York since we had won. Obviously, being the first time to ever win the cup in Edmonton, they were fairly similar in that regard.