• Noun: a person who has achieved distinction and honor in some field; example: "he is one of the greats of American music"
• Adj: relatively large in size or number or extent; larger than others of its kind; examples: "a great juicy steak", "a great multitude", "the great auk", "a great old oak", "a great ocean liner", "a great delay"
• Adj: of major significance or importance; examples: "a great work of art", "Einstein was one of the outstanding figures of the 20th centurey"
• Adj: remarkable or out of the ordinary in degree or magnitude or effect; examples: "a great crisis", "had a great stake in the outcome"
• Adj: very good; examples: "he did a bully job", "a neat sports car", "had a great time at the party", "you look simply smashing"
• Adj: uppercase; examples: "capital A", "great A", "many medieval manuscripts are in majuscule script"
• Adj: marked by active interest and enthusiasm; examples: "an avid sports fan", "a great walker", "an eager beaver"
• Adj: in an advanced stage of pregnancy; examples: "was big with child", "was great with child"
There's only one test of a great children's book, or a great children's film, and that is this: If it can be read or viewed with pleasure by adults, then it has the chance to be a great children's film, or a great children's book.
If you have a script that's not great, if you have a great director, you can make a great movie, but if you have a great script with a director who's not good, never are you going to have a good movie.
You could name the great stars of the silent screen who were finished; the great directors gone; the great title writers who were washed up. But remember this, as long as you live: the producers didn't lose a man. They all made the switch. That's where the great talent is.
I'm working harder than ever now, and I'm putting on my pants the same as I always have. I just get up every day and try to do a little better than the day before, and that is to run a great restaurant with great food, great wine, and great service. That's my philosophy.
There is great treasure there behind our skull and this is true about all of us. This little treasure has great, great powers, and I would say we only have learnt a very, very small part of what it can do.
When I was teaching in the 1960s in Boston, there was a great deal of hope in the air. Martin Luther King Jr. was alive, Malcolm X was alive; great, great leaders were emerging from the southern freedom movement.
Kolkata is a great city, has great food and great people. We had some problems finding the kind of old buildings we were looking for, and even handling the crowds, but on the whole it was fun shooting there.
To be able to make a good living in a challenging medium like soap operas is great. The best is that I get to act and am rewarded for it. And the people I work with are great. Funny, intelligent, hard working. They're all great to be around.
All the great novels, all the great films, all the great dramas are fictions that actually tell us the truth about us or about human nature or about human situations without being tied into the minutia of documentary events. Otherwise we might as well just make documentaries.