• Noun: a person who has achieved distinction and honor in some field; example: "he is one of the greats of American music"
• Adj: relatively large in size or number or extent; larger than others of its kind; examples: "a great juicy steak", "a great multitude", "the great auk", "a great old oak", "a great ocean liner", "a great delay"
• Adj: of major significance or importance; examples: "a great work of art", "Einstein was one of the outstanding figures of the 20th centurey"
• Adj: remarkable or out of the ordinary in degree or magnitude or effect; examples: "a great crisis", "had a great stake in the outcome"
• Adj: very good; examples: "he did a bully job", "a neat sports car", "had a great time at the party", "you look simply smashing"
• Adj: uppercase; examples: "capital A", "great A", "many medieval manuscripts are in majuscule script"
• Adj: marked by active interest and enthusiasm; examples: "an avid sports fan", "a great walker", "an eager beaver"
• Adj: in an advanced stage of pregnancy; examples: "was big with child", "was great with child"
If you have a script that's not great, if you have a great director, you can make a great movie, but if you have a great script with a director who's not good, never are you going to have a good movie.
You could name the great stars of the silent screen who were finished; the great directors gone; the great title writers who were washed up. But remember this, as long as you live: the producers didn't lose a man. They all made the switch. That's where the great talent is.
I'm working harder than ever now, and I'm putting on my pants the same as I always have. I just get up every day and try to do a little better than the day before, and that is to run a great restaurant with great food, great wine, and great service. That's my philosophy.
There's only one test of a great children's book, or a great children's film, and that is this: If it can be read or viewed with pleasure by adults, then it has the chance to be a great children's film, or a great children's book.
If the guilt of sin is so great that nothing can satisfy it but the blood of Jesus; and the filth of sin is so great that nothing can fetch out the stain thereof but the blood of Jesus, how great, how heinous, how sinful must the evil of sin be.
I had a coach that was not a great player, but he taught with kids and juniors so that by the time he was 50 he was great. He helped me make the top 5 in the world and yet he wasn't a great player himself.
We human beings are tuned such that we crave great melody and great lyrics. And if somebody writes a great song, it's timeless that we as humans are going to feel something for that and there's going to be a real appreciation.
Kolkata is a great city, has great food and great people. We had some problems finding the kind of old buildings we were looking for, and even handling the crowds, but on the whole it was fun shooting there.
Depending on what your interest in theater is, I always recommend working on plays. It's a great way to be introduced to the field, and also a great way to be seen by agents and representation. I'm also a great advocate for studying acting at a drama school or a college.
It could be a great script but the director is not the right person for me to work for at this time. So there are a lot of elements that come into play and a lot of variables, but more than anything it's got to be a great script and a great character.
When I was teaching in the 1960s in Boston, there was a great deal of hope in the air. Martin Luther King Jr. was alive, Malcolm X was alive; great, great leaders were emerging from the southern freedom movement.
I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit.