• Noun: a person who has achieved distinction and honor in some field; example: "he is one of the greats of American music"
• Adj: relatively large in size or number or extent; larger than others of its kind; examples: "a great juicy steak", "a great multitude", "the great auk", "a great old oak", "a great ocean liner", "a great delay"
• Adj: of major significance or importance; examples: "a great work of art", "Einstein was one of the outstanding figures of the 20th centurey"
• Adj: remarkable or out of the ordinary in degree or magnitude or effect; examples: "a great crisis", "had a great stake in the outcome"
• Adj: very good; examples: "he did a bully job", "a neat sports car", "had a great time at the party", "you look simply smashing"
• Adj: uppercase; examples: "capital A", "great A", "many medieval manuscripts are in majuscule script"
• Adj: marked by active interest and enthusiasm; examples: "an avid sports fan", "a great walker", "an eager beaver"
• Adj: in an advanced stage of pregnancy; examples: "was big with child", "was great with child"
If you have a script that's not great, if you have a great director, you can make a great movie, but if you have a great script with a director who's not good, never are you going to have a good movie.
I'm working harder than ever now, and I'm putting on my pants the same as I always have. I just get up every day and try to do a little better than the day before, and that is to run a great restaurant with great food, great wine, and great service. That's my philosophy.
You could name the great stars of the silent screen who were finished; the great directors gone; the great title writers who were washed up. But remember this, as long as you live: the producers didn't lose a man. They all made the switch. That's where the great talent is.
There's only one test of a great children's book, or a great children's film, and that is this: If it can be read or viewed with pleasure by adults, then it has the chance to be a great children's film, or a great children's book.
We human beings are tuned such that we crave great melody and great lyrics. And if somebody writes a great song, it's timeless that we as humans are going to feel something for that and there's going to be a real appreciation.
It's great if a pilot starts off great and if it doesn't start off so great it's not that big a deal: everybody's baby is born ugly. But you want to know, if given the opportunity: Where are we going? What's the story we're trying to tell?
When I was teaching in the 1960s in Boston, there was a great deal of hope in the air. Martin Luther King Jr. was alive, Malcolm X was alive; great, great leaders were emerging from the southern freedom movement.
I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit.
To be able to make a good living in a challenging medium like soap operas is great. The best is that I get to act and am rewarded for it. And the people I work with are great. Funny, intelligent, hard working. They're all great to be around.
I love Chicago. It's such a great town, and it's got great culture and great history, and it's not as extreme as LA or New York, and it's just- it's hard for me for work, because I don't live and work in the same place and that's tough. But I'm- I love it.