• Noun: the temporal end; the concluding time; examples: "the stopping point of each round was signaled by a bell", "the market was up at the finish", "they were playing better at the close of the season"
• Noun: the last or lowest in an ordering or series; examples: "he was the last to leave", "he finished an inglorious last"
• Noun: a person's dying act; the final thing a person can do; example: "he breathed his last"
• Noun: the time at which life ends; continuing until dead; examples: "she stayed until his death", "a struggle to the last"
• Noun: a unit of weight equal to 4,000 pounds
• Noun: a unit of capacity for grain equal to 80 bushels
• Noun: the concluding parts of an event or occurrence; examples: "the end was exciting", "I had to miss the last of the movie"
• Noun: holding device shaped like a human foot that is used to fashion or repair shoes
• Verb: persist for a specified period of time; example: "The bad weather lasted for three days"
• Verb: continue to live; endure or last; examples: "We went without water and food for 3 days", "These superstitions survive in the backwaters of America", "The race car driver lived through several very serious accidents", "how long can a person last without food and water?"
• Adj: immediately past; examples: "last Thursday", "the last chapter we read"
• Adj: coming after all others in time or space or degree or being the only one remaining; examples: "the last time I saw Paris", "the last day of the month", "had the last word", "waited until the last minute", "he raised his voice in a last supreme call", "the last game of the season", "down to his last nickel"
• Adj: occurring at or forming an end or termination; examples: "his concluding words came as a surprise", "the final chapter", "the last days of the dinosaurs", "terminal leave"
• Adj: conclusive in a process or progression; examples: "the final answer", "a last resort", "the net result"
• Adj: most unlikely or unsuitable; examples: "the last person we would have suspected", "the last man they would have chosen for the job"
• Adj: occurring at the time of death; examples: "his last words", "the last rites"
• Adj: not to be altered or undone; examples: "the judge's decision is final", "the arbiter will have the last say"
• Adj: lowest in rank or importance; examples: "last prize", "in last place"
• Adj: highest in extent or degree; examples: "to the last measure of human endurance", "whether they were accomplices in the last degree or a lesser one was...to be determined individually"
• Adv: more recently than any other time; example: "I saw him last in London"
• Adv: the item at the end; example: "last, I'll discuss family values"
Even when I finished third at the U.S. Open a few weeks back, I didn't putt very well, nor in the last round of last year's Masters when Mickelson won, nor last year's Open at Turnberry, where I came second.
All endeavor calls for the ability to tramp the last mile, shape the last plan, endure the last hours toil. The fight to the finish spirit is the one... characteristic we must posses if we are to face the future as finishers.
You are graduating from college. That means that this is the first day of the last day of your life. No, that's wrong. This is the last day of the first day of school. Nope, that's worse. This is a day.
Listen, I'm 41 years old. I've got two kids. I've got a career. The last thing I need to be doing is having a beef with A Tribe Called Quest. It's silly and it was unnecessary. It ain't the first time that a director hasn't seen eye to eye with a subject and it ain't going to be the last time.
I have a good memory for early life. My visual memory is good about childhood and adolescence, and less good in the last 10 years. I could probably tell you less what happened in the last 10 years. I remember what houses looked like, sometimes they just pop into my head.
This was our last stop. This was it. We had those two embryos that we had banked prior to learning about the breast cancer, and with the medicine she was on, this was our last effort. The prayers were answered.
For everything I do, I think about a 6-year-old girl and her mom that I saw at my concert last night. I think about what those two individuals would think if I were at a club last night. I never want to be arrested, and I never want to get a DUI, those are my moral values.
Over the last decade, economists seemed to share a broad consensus about economic policy, with the old splits between monetarists and Keynesians apparently being settled by events. But the Great Recession of the last two years has changed everything.
I never got hurt when I was in Morocco doing all the horse riding and my own stunts. But on the last day on the last shot I slid off my horse and landed on my bottom. I did not get hurt but it was very embarrassing.