• Adj: (comparative of `little' usually used with mass nouns) a quantifier meaning not as great in amount or degree; examples: "of less importance", "less time to spend with the family", "a shower uses less water", "less than three years old"
• Adj: (usually preceded by `no') lower in quality; example: "no less than perfect"
• Adj: (nonstandard in some uses but often idiomatic with measure phrases) fewer; examples: "less than three weeks", "no less than 50 people attended", "in 25 words or less"
• Adv: used to form the comparative of some adjectives and adverbs; examples: "less interesting", "less expensive", "less quickly"
• Adv: comparative of little; examples: "she walks less than she should", "he works less these days"
For much of the female half of the world, food is the first signal of our inferiority. It lets us know that our own families may consider female bodies to be less deserving, less needy, less valuable.
What's important is to be able to see yourself, I think, as having commonality with other people and not determine, because of your good luck, that everybody is less significant, less interesting, less important than you are.
We are angry about paying the highest income taxes and property taxes in the nation and getting less and less for it. We are angry about our incompetent, dysfunctional government that pays no attention to the desires of the people. We are angry about the cesspool of corruption and conflicts of interests and self-dealing that is Albany.
The President's announcement sounded less like a national energy plan than like a page from an election-year play book. This Administration's plan to reduce obscene oil company profits is to regulate them less.
Because there still exists a significant pay gap, women tend to earn less than men over the course of their lifetimes. Compounding the problem, women tend to spend less time in the workforce than men.
I have a good memory for early life. My visual memory is good about childhood and adolescence, and less good in the last 10 years. I could probably tell you less what happened in the last 10 years. I remember what houses looked like, sometimes they just pop into my head.