• Adj: has a good chance of being the case or of coming about; examples: "these services are likely to be available to us all before long", "she is likely to forget", "a likely place for a restaurant", "the broken limb is likely to fall", "rain is likely", "a likely topic for investigation", "likely candidates for the job"
• Adj: likely but not certain to be or become true or real; examples: "a likely result", "he foresaw a probable loss"
• Adj: expected to become or be; in prospect; examples: "potential clients", "expected income"
• Adj: within the realm of credibility; example: "not a very likely excuse"
• Adv: with considerable certainty; without much doubt; examples: "He is probably out of the country", "in all likelihood we are headed for war"
The parent knows instinctively that if they're working and setting an example for their child that means that child is more likely to be in school, more likely to stay out of trouble and more likely to complete their education.
Harvard Medical School, the University of South Florida and the American Psychiatric Association have all conducted studies showing that the earlier one begins gambling, the more likely it is he or she will become an addicted, problem gambler.
The maxim, that governments ought to train the people in the way in which they should go, sounds well. But is there any reason for believing that a government is more likely to lead the people in the right way than the people to fall into the right way of themselves?
No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new.
The question is: how bad do things have to get before you will do something about it? Where is your line in the sand? If you don't enforce the constitutional limitations on your government very soon, you are likely to find out what World War III will be like.