Sell also: assert, conserve, defend, exert, hold, keep, observe, preserve, sustain, uphold, wield
• Verb: keep in a certain state, position, or activity; e.g., "keep clean"; examples: "hold in place", "She always held herself as a lady", "The students keep me on my toes"
• Verb: keep in safety and protect from harm, decay, loss, or destruction; examples: "We preserve these archeological findings", "The old lady could not keep up the building", "children must be taught to conserve our national heritage", "The museum curator conserved the ancient manuscripts"
• Verb: supply with necessities and support; examples: "She alone sustained her family", "The money will sustain our good cause", "There's little to earn and many to keep"
• Verb: state categorically
• Verb: have and exercise; example: "wield power and authority"
• Verb: maintain for use and service; examples: "I keep a car in the countryside", "She keeps an apartment in Paris for her shopping trips"
• Verb: maintain by writing regular records; examples: "keep a diary", "maintain a record", "keep notes"
• Verb: state or assert; example: "He maintained his innocence"
• Verb: support against an opponent; example: "The appellate court upheld the verdict"
• Verb: observe correctly or closely; examples: "The pianist kept time with the metronome", "keep count", "I cannot keep track of all my employees"
I learned a lot from not having success, and realizing when you do have success, how hard it is to maintain it, and what you have to do to maintain it.
If we do not maintain justice, justice will not maintain us.
By denying scientific principles, one may maintain any paradox.
I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.
I maintain that Truth is a pathless land, and you cannot approach it by any path whatsoever, by any religion, by any sect.
Our object should be peace within, and peace without. We want to live peacefully and maintain cordial friendly relations with our immediate neighbours and with the world at large.
The human mind, if it is to keep its sanity, must maintain the nicest balance between unity and plurality.
Education in this country is about how to maintain the status quo and to perpetuate racism.
One must always maintain one's connection to the past and yet ceaselessly pull away from it.
It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
Powerful states can maintain themselves only by crime, little states are virtuous only by weakness.
I can't tell you how hard I worked the last year. In fact, I worked so hard that I know I can't maintain that same work level in 2001, so I've got to quit something.
I maintain that nothing useful and lasting can emerge from violence.
Whenever you deal with science fiction you are setting up a world of rules. I think you work hard to establish the rules. And you also have to work even harder to maintain those rules, and within that find excitement and unpredictability and all that stuff.
We don't need a melting pot in this country, folks. We need a salad bowl. In a salad bowl, you put in the different things. You want the vegetables - the lettuce, the cucumbers, the onions, the green peppers - to maintain their identity. You appreciate differences.
To maintain a joyful family requires much from both the parents and the children. Each member of the family has to become, in a special way, the servant of the others.
The point is that when I see a sunset or a waterfall or something, for a split second it's so great, because for a little bit I'm out of my brain, and it's got nothing to do with me. I'm not trying to figure it out, you know what I mean? And I wonder if I can somehow find a way to maintain that mind stillness.
It is one of the primary motives of modern art that it wants to abolish the distance which the viewer, the consumer, the audience maintain vis-a-vis a work of art.
We also maintain - again with perfect truth - that mystery is more than half of beauty, the element of strangeness that stirs the senses through the imagination.
I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.