Sell also: attain, brand, build, cause, clear, constitute, construct, cook, crap, create, draw, earn, establish, fix, form, gain, get, give, hit, hold, induce, name, nominate, prepare, pretend, produce, reach, ready, realise, realize, score, seduce, shuffle, shuffling, stimulate, take, throw, wee, work
• Noun: a recognizable kind; examples: "there's a new brand of hero in the movies now", "what make of car is that?"
• Noun: the act of mixing cards haphazardly
• Verb: engage in; examples: "make love, not war", "make an effort", "do research", "do nothing", "make revolution"
• Verb: give certain properties to something; examples: "get someone mad", "She made us look silly", "He made a fool of himself at the meeting", "Don't make this into a big deal", "This invention will make you a millionaire", "Make yourself clear"
• Verb: make or cause to be or to become; examples: "make a mess in one's office", "create a furor"
• Verb: cause to do; cause to act in a specified manner; examples: "The ads induced me to buy a VCR", "My children finally got me to buy a computer", "My wife made me buy a new sofa"
• Verb: give rise to; cause to happen or occur, not always intentionally; examples: "cause a commotion", "make a stir", "cause an accident"
• Verb: create or manufacture a man-made product; examples: "We produce more cars than we can sell", "The company has been making toys for two centuries"
• Verb: make, formulate, or derive in the mind; examples: "I draw a line here", "draw a conclusion", "draw parallels", "make an estimate", "What do you make of his remarks?"
• Verb: compel or make somebody or something to act in a certain way; examples: "People cannot be made to integrate just by passing a law!", "Heat makes you sweat"
• Verb: create by artistic means; examples: "create a poem", "Schoenberg created twelve-tone music", "Picasso created Cubism", "Auden made verses"
• Verb: earn on some commercial or business transaction; earn as salary or wages; examples: "How much do you make a month in your new job?", "She earns a lot in her new job", "this merger brought in lots of money", "He clears $5,000 each month"
• Verb: create or design, often in a certain way; examples: "Do my room in blue", "I did this piece in wood to express my love for the forest"
• Verb: to compose or represent:"This wall forms the background of the stage setting"; examples: "The branches made a roof", "This makes a fine introduction"
• Verb: reach a goal, e.g., "make the first team"; examples: "We made it!", "She may not make the grade"
• Verb: be or be capable of being changed or made into; examples: "He makes a great host", "He will make a fine father"
• Verb: make by shaping or bringing together constituents; examples: "make a dress", "make a cake", "make a wall of stones"
• Verb: perform or carry out; examples: "make a decision", "make a move", "make advances", "make a phone call"
• Verb: make by combining materials and parts; examples: "this little pig made his house out of straw", "Some eccentric constructed an electric brassiere warmer"
• Verb: change from one form into another; examples: "make water into wine", "make lead into gold", "make clay into bricks"
• Verb: act in a certain way so as to acquire; examples: "make friends", "make enemies"
• Verb: charge with a function; charge to be; examples: "She was named Head of the Committee", "She was made president of the club"
• Verb: achieve a point or goal; examples: "Nicklaus had a 70", "The Brazilian team got 4 goals", "She made 29 points that day"
• Verb: reach a destination, either real or abstract; examples: "We hit Detroit by noon", "The water reached the doorstep", "We barely made it to the finish line", "I have to hit the MAC machine before the weekend starts"
• Verb: institute, enact, or establish; example: "make laws"
• Verb: carry out or commit; examples: "make a mistake", "commit a faux-pas"
• Verb: add up to; example: "four and four make eight"
• Verb: form by assembling individuals or constituents; example: "Make a quorum"
• Verb: organize or be responsible for; examples: "hold a reception", "have, throw, or make a party", "give a course"
• Verb: prepare for eating by applying heat; examples: "Cook me dinner, please", "can you make me an omelette?", "fix breakfast for the guests, please"
• Verb: put in order or neaten; examples: "make the bed", "make up a room"
• Verb: head into a specified direction; examples: "The escaped convict took to the hills", "We made for the mountains"
• Verb: have a bowel movement; example: "The dog had made in the flower beds"
• Verb: undergo fabrication or creation; example: "This wool makes into a nice sweater"
• Verb: be suitable for; example: "Wood makes good furniture"
• Verb: amount to; example: "This salary increase makes no difference to my standard of living"
• Verb: constitute the essence of; example: "Clothes make the man"
• Verb: appear to begin an activity; examples: "He made to speak but said nothing in the end", "She made as if to say hello to us"
• Verb: proceed along a path; examples: "work one's way through the crowd", "make one's way into the forest"
• Verb: reach in time; example: "We barely made the plane"
• Verb: gather and light the materials for; example: "make a fire"
• Verb: induce to have sex; examples: "Harry finally seduced Sally", "Did you score last night?", "Harry made Sally"
• Verb: assure the success of; example: "A good review by this critic will make your play!"
• Verb: represent fictitiously, as in a play, or pretend to be or act like; example: "She makes like an actress"
• Verb: consider as being; example: "It wasn't the problem some people made it"
• Verb: calculate as being; example: "I make the height about 100 feet"
• Verb: cause to be enjoyable or pleasurable; example: "make my day"
• Verb: favor the development of; example: "Practice makes the winner"
• Verb: develop into; example: "He will make a splendid father!"
• Verb: behave in a certain way; example: "make merry"
• Verb: eliminate urine; example: "Again, the cat had made on the expensive rug"
I want to make films that make a difference. I want to be out and hope that that will make things better for gay people and for myself. I hope one day I can start to make the kind of projects or be involved with kind of projects that can really make a difference.
Infuse your life with action. Don't wait for it to happen. Make it happen. Make your own future. Make your own hope. Make your own love. And whatever your beliefs, honor your creator, not by passively waiting for grace to come down from upon high, but by doing what you can to make grace happen... yourself, right now, right down here on Earth.
I don't want to give any advice to a 19-year-old, because I want a 19-year-old to make mistakes and learn from them. Make mistakes, make mistakes, make mistakes. Just make sure they're your mistakes.
These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it.
I think on some level, that's a fear that exists in everybody, that if we're tested, we won't make the courageous choice. We won't make the decision that would make us heroic. We make the decision that would reveal us to be all too human.
Make it simple. Make it memorable. Make it inviting to look at. Make it fun to read.
Many drops make a bucket, many buckets make a pond, many ponds make a lake, and many lakes make an ocean.
As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.
Regardless of the difficulties we may face individually, in our families, in our communities and in our nation, the old adage is still true - you can make excuses or you can make progress, but you cannot make both! The America I know doesn't make excuses.
I see it as one of my jobs to make sure that, it sounds ridiculous, but to make sure the folks are eating, make sure folks are getting enough fluids, make sure folks are, you know, comfortable in the orbiter.
The Four Levels of Comedy: Make your friends laugh, Make strangers laugh, Get paid to make strangers laugh, and Make people talk like you because it's so much fun.
A lot of companies make diversity a part of the performance goals against which an executive gets paid. Just as you have to make a certain sales number, you have to make a diversity number to get your bonus.
Don't make art for other artists or for 'intellectuals', make art for people - and if you can touch just one person in a lifetime and make a difference - you have succeeded.
I wanted the feel in these books to be like an epic fantasy, with kings, queens, dukes and court politics, but of course like what I was explaining before, about making the science make sense, you have to make the politics make sense, too.
I am happy to make money. I want to make more money, make more music, eat Big Macs and drink Budweisers.
People expect us to be different, but we're not. We're very similar people, and it's because we're so similar and close to each other that we make each other laugh - in fact we make each other laugh more than we make anyone else laugh.
Don't be afraid to make a mistake. But make sure you don't make the same mistake twice.
All people hope Islam helps everything in life. Islam will make jobs. Islam will make freedom. Islam will make everything.
I hope I'm in a position to make stuff that I really want to make as opposed to stuff that I just have to make for money reasons, or to sustain a certain marquee value.
Well, in our industry it's that the movies cost so much money to make they have to appeal to a broad audience. And I think that's part of what will loosen up in the future, as technology makes it cheaper, you'll be able to make films for a more selective audience. I think people will be able to make more personal movies.