• Noun: by the sanction or authority of; example: "halt in the name of the law"
• Noun: a person's reputation; example: "he wanted to protect his good name"
• Noun: a well-known or notable person; examples: "they studied all the great names in the history of France", "she is an important figure in modern music"
• Noun: a language unit by which a person or thing is known; examples: "his name really is George Washington", "those are two names for the same thing"
• Noun: family based on male descent; example: "he had no sons and there was no one to carry on his name"
• Noun: a defamatory or abusive word or phrase
• Verb: assign a specified (usually proper) proper name to; examples: "They named their son David", "The new school was named after the famous Civil Rights leader"
• Verb: give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property; examples: "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal", "The almanac identifies the auspicious months"
• Verb: charge with a function; charge to be; examples: "She was named Head of the Committee", "She was made president of the club"
• Verb: create and charge with a task or function; example: "nominate a committee"
• Verb: mention and identify by name; example: "name your accomplices!"
• Verb: identify as in botany or biology, for example
• Verb: make reference to; example: "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
• Verb: give or make a list of; name individually; give the names of; example: "List the states west of the Mississippi"
• Verb: determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis
The first time I was in his office was when they called me in to tell me they had changed my name. I had a feeling that if I'd gone along with the name they'd chosen, I'd never be seen again. I'd be swallowed up by that name, because it was a false name: Kit Marlowe.
I do have two data identities. I have my name, Bruce Sterling, which is my public name under which I write novels. I also have my other name, which is my legal name under which I own property and vote.
The most important thing in the programming language is the name. A language will not succeed without a good name. I have recently invented a very good name and now I am looking for a suitable language.
I know my name gets used illegally all the time all over the internet. You know, it is a trademarked name, so it will be something that we always have to deal with. I never needed to change it. It was always fine with me. It is a strange name; that's for sure.
Marilyn Monroe wasn't even her real name, Charles Manson isn't his real name, and now, I'm taking that to be my real name. But what's real? You can't find the truth, you just pick the lie you like the best.
Mos Def is a name that I built and cultivated over the years it's a name that the streets taught me a figure of speech that was given to me by the culture and by my environment and I feel I've done quite a bit with that name and it's time to expand and move on.
My first name - I have no middle name - was chosen by my father, as he told me, on that solitary walk in the forested hills. He selected it from a verse of the seventh chapter of Isaiah; there was no Immanuel among our ancestors known to him.
You're basing your laws and your whole outlook on natural life on mythology. It won't work. That's why you have all these problems in the world. Name them: India, Pakistan, Ireland. Name them-all these problems. They're all religious problems.