Sell also: ask, demand, involve, motivation, motive, necessitate, pauperism, postulate, require, take, want
• Noun: a condition requiring relief; examples: "she satisfied his need for affection", "God has no need of men to accomplish His work", "there is a demand for jobs"
• Noun: anything that is necessary but lacking; examples: "he had sufficient means to meet his simple needs", "I tried to supply his wants"
• Noun: the psychological feature that arouses an organism to action toward a desired goal; the reason for the action; that which gives purpose and direction to behavior; examples: "we did not understand his motivation", "he acted with the best of motives"
• Noun: a state of extreme poverty or destitution; examples: "their indigence appalled him", "a general state of need exists among the homeless"
• Verb: require as useful, just, or proper; examples: "It takes nerve to do what she did", "success usually requires hard work", "This job asks a lot of patience and skill", "This position demands a lot of personal sacrifice", "This dinner calls for a spectacular dessert", "This intervention does not postulate a patient's consent"
• Verb: have need of; example: "This piano wants the attention of a competent tuner"
• Verb: have or feel a need for; example: "always needing friends and money"
For security you need more soldiers, you need more policemen, you need more vehicles, you need more planes, you need more guns, you need more communications.
The people of South and Central Texas and the Coastal Bend need jobs, they need health care, they need water infrastructure improvements, they need a quality education, and they need the resources to keep our borders safe and secure.
Maybe back in the day you didn't need to be the greatest looking to be on TV and you didn't need to speak the best, but in this day and age, I think you need to be the package. You need to look the part for your sponsors, you need to be able to speak the part for the media and to big CEOs.
But my view is that you need a system at the border. You need some fencing but you need technology. You need boots on the ground. And then you need to have interior enforcement of our nation's immigration laws inside the country. And that means dealing with the employers who still consistently hire illegal labor.
A writer writes not because he is educated but because he is driven by the need to communicate. Behind the need to communicate is the need to share. Behind the need to share is the need to be understood.
You need the words, you need the script, you need the material, you need the commitment, you need the passion, it's like we depend on writers, we depend on producers, directors depend on us and once things are in the divine order as they happen.
They need to learn poetry. They don't need to learn about poetry. They don't need to be told how to interpret poetry. They don't need to be told how to understand poetry. They need to learn it.
There are three things we need to do for a band. We need to make a great record; we need to get the record played; and we need to find an audience for the live shows.
Diversity on the bench is critical. As practitioners, you need judges who 'get it!' We need judges who understand what discrimination feels like. We need judges who understand what inequality feels like. We need judges who understand the subtleties of unfair treatment and who are willing to call it out when they see it!
We are born weak, we need strength; helpless, we need aid; foolish, we need reason. All that we lack at birth, all that we need when we come to man's estate, is the gift of education.
We do not need more intellectual power, we need more spiritual power. We do not need more of the things that are seen, we need more of the things that are unseen.
You can do and use the skills that you have. The schools need you. The teachers need you. Students and parents need you. They need your actual person: your physical personhood and your open minds and open ears and boundless compassion, sitting next to them, listening and nodding and asking questions for hours at a time.
Well the specific role of the World Bank is to be ready with financial assistance immediately after this emergency takes place because you need to reconnect water, you need to reconnect power, you need roads, you need bridges, and that has to be done urgently.
We need a number of solutions - we need more efficiency and conservation. Efficiency is a big one. I think car companies need to do a lot better in producing more efficient cars. They have the technology, we just need to demand them as consumers.
I just prefer instrumental. I don't need to hear what other people are singing. And if I need music as a backdrop to work or to think, I need to have that part of the brain clear - I don't need people feeding their fantasies into my vision.
We have a need to be religious, we need to worship, we need to build totems and shrines and icons, but nobody's sure in honor of what.
Exploiting people's emotions of fear, envy and anxiety is not hope, it's not change, it's partisanship. We don't need partisanship. We don't need demagoguery, we need solutions.
Well, I think we need to have attrition by enforcement. We need to secure our borders. We need to enforce our laws.
We need to keep investing in economic and homeland security. We need to bank on the right kind of economic development. We need to embrace opportunities, but with the right kind of safeguards.
I'm a perfectionist. I need to be needed. I need to do things for a man. But I don't need to do them as much, these days.