• Verb: kill intentionally and with premeditation; example: "The mafia boss ordered his enemies murdered"
• Adj: not in operation or operational; examples: "the oven is off", "the lights are off"
• Adj: below a satisfactory level; examples: "an off year for tennis", "his performance was off"
• Adj: (of events) no longer planned or scheduled; example: "the wedding is definitely off"
• Adj: in an unpalatable state; example: "sour milk"
• Adj: not performing or scheduled for duties; example: "He's off every Tuesday"
• Adv: from a particular thing or place or position (`forth' is obsolete); examples: "ran away from the lion", "wanted to get away from there", "sent the children away to boarding school", "the teacher waved the children away from the dead animal", "went off to school", "they drove off", "go forth and preach"
• Adv: at a distance in space or time; examples: "the boat was 5 miles off (or away)", "the party is still 2 weeks off (or away)", "away back in the 18th century"
• Adv: no longer on or in contact or attached; examples: "clean off the dirt", "he shaved off his mustache"
First off, we've had sworn testimony from soldiers and testimony before our staff that wasn't sworn, that said these alarms rarely went off, that they went off after the war in most cases and went off a lot.
I put off writing the first Left Behind book for a year because I got invited to assist Billy Graham in his memoirs, and had we known what we were putting off for a year, we might not have put it off.
The journey of life is like a man riding a bicycle. We know he got on the bicycle and started to move. We know that at some point he will stop and get off. We know that if he stops moving and does not get off he will fall off.
The plane took off at 8:10 in the morning - or that's when it was scheduled to take off. And that's when I believe it took off. I had been in my office at the Department of Justice. Someone told me that there had been the two strikes that occurred at the World Trade Center.
I think every chef, not just in America, but across the world, has a double-edged sword - two jackets, one that's driven, a self-confessed perfectionist, thoroughbred, hate incompetence and switch off the stove, take off the jacket and become a family man.
I just went off for two months traveling around Europe on a motorcycle and pretty much turned my phone off. I did 5,000 miles with my dad. We went through Holland, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Italy... and then I did Spain and France by myself.
It's great if a pilot starts off great and if it doesn't start off so great it's not that big a deal: everybody's baby is born ugly. But you want to know, if given the opportunity: Where are we going? What's the story we're trying to tell?
Once the smoke of the market crash clears off, you know, the Internet will pick back up and go. Take a look at what's happening to some of the big companies like eBay and Yahoo, the publicly traded stocks. You know, they're all coming back up off the mat now.
I'd get more applause than some because I was just seventeen. If they didn't clap at the end of my act I would limp off stage and boy would they feel guilty. They would all burst into tremendous applause as they saw this poor cripple kid walking off.
What we're putting forward is the most radical reform of the welfare state... for 60 years. I think it will have a transformative effect in making sure that everyone is better off in work and better off working rather than on benefits.