• Noun: past times (especially in the phrase `in days of old')
• Adj: (used especially of persons) having lived for a relatively long time or attained a specific age; examples: "an old man's eagle mind"--William Butler Yeat", "his mother is very old", "a ripe old age", "how old are you?"
• Adj: of long duration; not new; examples: "old tradition", "old house", "old wine", "old country", "old friendships", "old money"
• Adj: (used for emphasis) very familiar; examples: "good old boy", "same old story"
• Adj: just preceding something else in time or order; examples: "the previous owner", "my old house was larger"
• Adj: of a very early stage in development; examples: "Old English is also called Anglo Saxon", "Old High German is High German from the middle of the 9th to the end of the 11th century"
• Adj: old in experience; examples: "an old offender", "the older soldiers"
• Adj: belonging to some prior time; examples: "erstwhile friend", "our former glory", "the once capital of the state", "her quondam lover"
• Adj: (used informally especially for emphasis); examples: "a real honest-to-god live cowboy", "had us a high old time", "went upriver to look at a sure-enough fish wheel"
My son now is 22 months old, he's been playing since he was 12 months old and he gets standing ovations on the drums. He's been with us since he was 10 weeks old, he's been on the drums. He's got blisters on his fingers before he can even talk.
Why do people talk of the horrors of old age? It's great. I feel like a fine old car with the parts gradually wearing out, but I'm not complaining,... Those who find growing old terrible are people who haven't done what they wanted with their lives.
As I approve of a youth that has something of the old man in him, so I am no less pleased with an old man that has something of the youth. He that follows this rule may be old in body, but can never be so in mind.
Country artists, I met a lot of them when I was five, six years old. I had an uncle who was a country and western singer and I met Lefty Frizzell when I was five or six years old in those shows that would come through Toronto from Nashville.
You will feel the full force of the law and if you are old enough to commit these crimes you are old enough to face the punishments. And to these people I would say this: you are not only wrecking the lives of others, you are potentially wrecking your own life too.
We talk about theatre museums filled with old costumes and things. What we also need is a theatre museum of the old routines on videotape. We are only the custodians of those techniques, and they should be preserved.
You know, my hair is very upsetting to people, but it's upsetting on purpose. It is important to look old so that the young will not be afraid of dying. People don't like old women. We don't honor age in our society, and we certainly don't honor it in Hollywood.