• Noun: the smallest whole number or a numeral representing this number; examples: "he has the one but will need a two and three to go with it", "they had lunch at one"
• Noun: a single person or thing; examples: "he is the best one", "this is the one I ordered"
• Adj: used of a single unit or thing; not two or more; example: "`ane' is Scottish"
• Adj: having the indivisible character of a unit; examples: "a unitary action", "spoke with one voice"
• Adj: of the same kind or quality; example: "two animals of one species"
• Adj: used informally as an intensifier; example: "that is one fine dog"
• Adj: indefinite in time or position; examples: "he will come one day", "one place or another"
• Adj: being a single entity made by combining separate components; example: "three chemicals combining into one solution"
• Adj: eminent beyond or above comparison; examples: "matchless beauty", "the team's nonpareil center fielder", "she's one girl in a million", "the one and only Muhammad Ali", "a peerless scholar", "infamy unmatched in the Western world", "wrote with unmatchable clarity", "unrivaled mastery of her art"
The Church is everywhere represented as one. It is one body, one family, one fold, one kingdom. It is one because pervaded by one Spirit. We are all baptized into one Spirit so as to become, says the apostle, on body.
And I say the sacred hoop of my people was one of the many hoops that made one circle, wide as daylight and as starlight, and in the center grew one mighty flowering tree to shelter all the children of one mother and one father.
But in the end, in the end one is alone. We are all of us alone. I mean I'm told these days we have to consider ourselves as being in society... but in the end one knows one is alone, that one lives at the heart of a solitude.
It is better to make a piece of music than to perform one, better to perform one than to listen to one, better to listen to one than to misuse it as a means of distraction, entertainment, or acquisition of "culture."