Sell also: aim, base, berth, commit, direct, grade, home, identify, invest, lay, lieu, localize, locate, office, order, Piazza, Plaza, point, pose, position, post, property, put, range, rank, rate, seat, send, set, shoes, site, situation, space, spot, station, stead, target
• Noun: a point located with respect to surface features of some region; example: "this is a nice place for a picnic"
• Noun: any area set aside for a particular purpose; examples: "who owns this place?", "the president was concerned about the property across from the White House"
• Noun: an abstract mental location; examples: "he has a special place in my thoughts", "a place in my heart", "a political system with no place for the less prominent groups"
• Noun: a general vicinity; example: "He comes from a place near Chicago"
• Noun: the post or function properly or customarily occupied or served by another; examples: "can you go in my stead?", "took his place", "in lieu of"
• Noun: a particular situation; example: "If you were in my place what would you do?"
• Noun: where you live at a particular time; examples: "deliver the package to my home", "he doesn't have a home to go to", "your place or mine?"
• Noun: a job in an organization; example: "he occupied a post in the treasury"
• Noun: the particular portion of space occupied by something; example: "he put the lamp back in its place"
• Noun: proper or designated social situation; examples: "he overstepped his place", "the responsibilities of a man in his station", "married above her station"
• Noun: a space reserved for sitting (as in a theater or on a train or airplane); examples: "he booked their seats in advance", "he sat in someone else's place"
• Noun: the passage that is being read; example: "he lost his place on the page"
• Noun: proper or appropriate position or location; example: "a woman's place is no longer in the kitchen"
• Noun: a public square with room for pedestrians; examples: "they met at Elm Plaza", "Grosvenor Place"
• Noun: an item on a list or in a sequence; examples: "in the second place", "moved from third to fifth position"
• Noun: a blank area; example: "write your name in the space provided"
• Verb: put into a certain place or abstract location; examples: "Put your things here", "Set the tray down", "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children", "Place emphasis on a certain point"
• Verb: place somebody in a particular situation or location; example: "he was placed on probation"
• Verb: assign a rank or rating to; examples: "how would you rank these students?", "The restaurant is rated highly in the food guide"
• Verb: assign a location to; example: "The company located some of their agents in Los Angeles"
• Verb: to arrange for; example: "place a phone call", "place a bet"
• Verb: take a place in a competition; often followed by an ordinal; example: "Jerry came in third in the Marathon"
• Verb: intend (something) to move towards a certain goal; examples: "He aimed his fists towards his opponent's face", "criticism directed at her superior", "direct your anger towards others, not towards yourself"
• Verb: recognize as being; establish the identity of someone or something; example: "She identified the man on the 'wanted' poster"
• Verb: assign to (a job or a home)
• Verb: locate; example: "The film is set in Africa"
• Verb: estimate; example: "We put the time of arrival at 8 P.M."
• Verb: identify the location or place of; example: "We localized the source of the infection"
• Verb: make an investment; example: "Put money into bonds"
• Verb: assign to a station
• Verb: finish second or better in a horse or dog race; example: "he bet $2 on number six to place"
• Verb: sing a note with the correct pitch
I'm not sure whether Los Angeles borders on the ocean or on oblivion. I always feel that I'm two steps away from the other side when I'm out there. It's more like a vacation place or a place to visit than a place to hunker down.
To me, music shouldn't be ego-driven. When you go out on stage and play songs, it is. But when you're sitting in a room, writing songs, it's a completely different process. It's a completely different place. It's a creative place, a musical place. It has nothing to do with who likes what.
I like any story that starts one place and really takes a huge journey to a whole new place; that people in their life want to take that journey. They want to be able to find things in their life that aren't working and work through them to a new place of change.
The Chautauqua Institution is truly a national treasure. It is a place for contemplation and a place for reflection, a place where platitudes and slogans can be set aside and be replaced by thoughtfulness and introspection.
From the first place of liquid darkness, within the second place of air and light, I set down the following record with its mixture of fact and truths and memories of truths and its direction toward the Third Place, where the starting point is myth.
As a stand up, and often in acting, there is no place for the most intense feelings. Rage, genuine sorrow, naked hope... These things don't fit on a comedy stage and if you act you'll get to express them once in a while. Music is a place for the intensely personal.
I talked to members of my family, and did some personal research that didn't really have anything to do with the time and place I was writing about, but that gave me a feeling of the experience of being black in a time and place where it was very difficult to be black.
All of the religions - with the exception of Tibetan Buddhism, which doesn't believe in a heaven - teach that heaven is a better place. At the end of the program, I say that heaven is a place where you are happy. All of the religions have that in common.
I busted out of the place in a hurry and went to a saloon and drank beer and said that for the rest of my life I'd never take a job in a place where you couldn't throw cigarette butts on the floor. I was hooked on this writing for newspapers and magazines.
This is a fundamental view of the world. It says that when you build a thing you cannot merely build that thing in isolation, but must repair the world around it, and within it, so that the larger world at that one place becomes more coherent, and more whole; and the thing which you make takes its place in the web of nature, as you make it.