Sell also: aim, charge, degree, detail, direct, dot, guide, gunpoint, head, indicate, item, level, maneuver, Orient, peak, period, place, sharpen, show, signal, spot, stage, steer, stop, taper, target, tip
• Noun: a geometric element that has position but no extension; example: "a point is defined by its coordinates"
• Noun: the precise location of something; a spatially limited location; example: "she walked to a point where she could survey the whole street"
• Noun: a brief version of the essential meaning of something; examples: "get to the point", "he missed the point of the joke", "life has lost its point"
• Noun: a specific identifiable position in a continuum or series or especially in a process; examples: "a remarkable degree of frankness", "at what stage are the social sciences?"
• Noun: an isolated fact that is considered separately from the whole; examples: "several of the details are similar", "a point of information"
• Noun: an instant of time; example: "at that point I had to leave"
• Noun: the object of an activity; example: "what is the point of discussing it?"
• Noun: a V shape; example: "the cannibal's teeth were filed to sharp points"
• Noun: a very small circular shape; examples: "a row of points", "draw lines between the dots"
• Noun: the unit of counting in scoring a game or contest; examples: "he scored 20 points in the first half", "a touchdown counts 6 points"
• Noun: a promontory extending out into a large body of water; example: "they sailed south around the point"
• Noun: a distinct part that can be specified separately in a group of things that could be enumerated on a list; examples: "he noticed an item in the New York Times", "she had several items on her shopping list", "the main point on the agenda was taken up first"
• Noun: a style in speech or writing that arrests attention and has a penetrating or convincing quality or effect
• Noun: an outstanding characteristic; example: "his acting was one of the high points of the movie"
• Noun: sharp end; examples: "he stuck the point of the knife into a tree", "he broke the point of his pencil"
• Noun: any of 32 horizontal directions indicated on the card of a compass; example: "he checked the point on his compass"
• Noun: a linear unit used to measure the size of type; approximately 1/72 inch
• Noun: a punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full stop or after abbreviations; example: "in England they call a period a stop"
• Noun: a V-shaped mark at one end of an arrow pointer; example: "the point of the arrow was due north"
• Noun: the property of a shape that tapers to a sharp tip
• Noun: a distinguishing or individuating characteristic; example: "he knows my bad points as well as my good points"
• Noun: the gun muzzle's direction; example: "he held me up at the point of a gun"
• Noun: a wall socket
• Noun: a contact in the distributor; as the rotor turns its projecting arm contacts them and current flows to the spark plugs
• Verb: indicate a place, direction, person, or thing; either spatially or figuratively; examples: "I showed the customer the glove section", "He pointed to the empty parking space", "he indicated his opponents"
• Verb: be oriented; examples: "The weather vane points North", "the dancers toes pointed outward"
• Verb: direct into a position for use; examples: "point a gun", "He charged his weapon at me"
• Verb: direct the course; determine the direction of travelling
• Verb: be a signal for or a symptom of; examples: "These symptoms indicate a serious illness", "Her behavior points to a severe neurosis", "The economic indicators signal that the euro is undervalued"
• Verb: sail close to the wind
• Verb: mark (Hebrew words) with diacritics
• Verb: mark with diacritics; example: "point the letter"
• Verb: mark (a psalm text) to indicate the points at which the music changes
• Verb: be positionable in a specified manner; example: "The gun points with ease"
• Verb: intend (something) to move towards a certain goal; examples: "He aimed his fists towards his opponent's face", "criticism directed at her superior", "direct your anger towards others, not towards yourself"
• Verb: give a point to; example: "The candles are tapered"
• Verb: repair the joints of bricks; example: "point a chimney"
I was on acid and I looked at the trees and I realized that they all came to points, and the little branches came to points, and the houses came to point. I thought, 'Oh! Everything has a point, and if it doesn't, then there's a point to it.'
Typically in horror films the character just services the plot, and you really are just going from 'point a' to 'point b,' just so that you can end up at 'point c.' They are just sort of stick characters. That's just not interesting to me.
Everyone has a breaking point, turning point, stress point, the game is permeated with it. The fans don't see it because we make it look so efficient. But internally, for a guy to be successful, you have to be like a clock spring, wound but not loose at the same time.
The point is to change one's life. The point is not to give some vent to the emotions that have been destroying one; the point is so to act that one can master them now.
The point of mythology or myth is to point to the horizon and to point back to ourselves: This is who we are; this is where we came from; and this is where we're going. And a lot of Western society over the last hundred years - the last 50 years really - has lost that. We have become rather aimless and wandering.
Once you've reached the point where you can pay rent, you can go to the vet and you can go to the grocery store, after that point it's all the same. I don't have the appetite for a decadent lifestyle.
The writer needs to react to his or her own internal universe, to his or her own point of view. If he or she doesn't have a personal point of view, it's impossible to be a creator.
There was a certain point in my life where I had to decide that I was going to take my future and Nicole's and not wallow in what happened to me because when you do that, you just keep repeating what's been happening and at some point you have to make a choice.
It was so kind of you to mention that I don't wear stays. What's the point? If you squeeze it in at one point, it only comes out at the other.
If you tailor your news viewing so that you only get one point of view, well of course you're going to think somebody else has got a different point of view, and it may be wrong.
In the theater, you go from point A to point Z, building your performance as the evening progresses. You have to relinquish that control on a film.
From a certain point onward there is no longer any turning back. That is the point that must be reached.
Everybody has a right to be defended, and every lawyer has a duty to defend people accused. And my office is to defend him, to discuss the accusation point by point, as I think this is a normal step in a democracy.
Yeah, I play a lot of point guard. LeBron plays a lot of point guard. A lot of people are thinking too much on positions.
You just try to play tough and focus point for point. Sounds so boring, but it's the right thing to do out there.
Point me out the happy man and I will point you out either egotism, selfishness, evil - or else an absolute ignorance.
The whole point of being in the Army is wanting to get killed, wanting to test yourself to the limits. Now you have to fly 15,000ft above the war zone to avoid getting hit. I don't think there is any point in having wars if that's how you're going to behave. It's pathetic. All this whining!
It's not really like you have a thing like a supermodel anymore. It's more of a word than a real existence. I think, also, looking at it from a designer's point of view, at one point maybe they felt the stars took too much attention away from the clothes.
Carrying out the thing, getting it to the point when one might say: There, now it is good - that point is hard to reach. Often, one sets very high goals for oneself. Perhaps too high.
Even if it is difficult playing with other people - sometimes it's great, sometimes it isn't, but that is kind of the point of it. It loses its point playing solo.