• Noun: possession of controlling influence; examples: "the deterrent power of nuclear weapons", "the power of his love saved her", "his powerfulness was concealed by a gentle facade"
• Noun: (physics) the rate of doing work; measured in watts (= joules/second)
• Noun: possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done; example: "danger heightened his powers of discrimination"
• Noun: a state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world
• Noun: (of a government or government official) holding an office means being in power; examples: "being in office already gives a candidate a great advantage", "during his first year in office", "during his first year in power", "the power of the president"
• Noun: one possessing or exercising power or influence or authority; examples: "the mysterious presence of an evil power", "may the force be with you", "the forces of evil"
• Noun: physical strength
• Noun: a mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
• Noun: a very wealthy or powerful businessman; example: "an oil baron"
• Verb: supply the force or power for the functioning of; example: "The gasoline powers the engines"
We're taught Lord Acton's axiom: all power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. I believed that when I started these books, but I don't believe it's always true any more. Power doesn't always corrupt. Power can cleanse. What I believe is always true about power is that power always reveals.
I counted on sixty days only, but I held out for 133. I didn't go into power, but to get power I borrowed some power from the President and made him sign a number of decrees and give me enough power to create a system capable of handling crisis situations.
We'll have a public power authority, which will also have the ability to build power or finance power. And more importantly, we'll have more power than our economy provides. All of that will give us leverage we don't have today.
Capitalism is not about free competitive choices among people who are reasonably equal in their buying and selling of economic power, it is about concentrating capital, concentrating economic power in very few hands using that power to trash everyone who gets in their way.
All Church power arises from the indwelling of the Spirit; therefore those in whom the Spirit dwells are the seat of Church power. But the Spirit dwells in the whole Church, and therefore the whole Church is the seat of Church power.
When power leads man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the area of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.
But among them now were a large number of Communists in positions of great power within the new union movement, some of them actually moving close to the center of power. This was the crack in the wall through which they entered. Their power was to grow and prosper.