• Adj: having great power or force or potency or effect; examples: "the most powerful government in western Europe", "his powerful arms", "a powerful bomb", "the horse's powerful kick", "powerful drugs", "a powerful argument"
• Adj: strong enough to knock down or overwhelm; example: "a knock-down blow"
• Adj: having great influence
• Adj: (of a person) possessing physical strength and weight; rugged and powerful; examples: "a hefty athlete", "a muscular boxer", "powerful arms"
• Adj: displaying superhuman strength or power; example: "herculean exertions"
• Adv: (Southern regional intensive) very; examples: "the baby is mighty cute", "he's mighty tired", "it is powerful humid", "that boy is powerful big now", "they have a right nice place"
Since the governments are in the pockets of businesses, who's going to control this most powerful institution? Business is more powerful than politics, and it's more powerful than religion. So it's going to have to be the vigilante consumer.
There is a powerful need for symbolism, and that means the architecture must have something that appeals to the human heart. There is a powerful need for symbolism, and that means the architecture must have something that appeals to the human heart.
And in this respect, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been a tragedy, a clash between one very powerful, very convincing, very painful claim over this land and another no less powerful, no less convincing claim.
We are the most powerful nation in the world, but we're not the only nation in the world. We are not the only people in the world. We are an important people, the wealthiest, the most powerful and, to a great extent, generous. But we are part of the world.
That survival instinct, that will to live, that need to get back to life again, is more powerful than any consideration of taste, decency, politeness, manners, civility. Anything. It's such a powerful force.
It is the role of good journalism to take on powerful abusers, and when powerful abusers are taken on, there's always a bad reaction. So we see that controversy, and we believe that is a good thing to engage in.