• Adj: free of extraneous elements of any kind; examples: "pure air and water", "pure gold", "pure primary colors", "the violin's pure and lovely song", "pure tones", "pure oxygen"
• Adj: without qualification; used informally as (often pejorative) intensifiers; examples: "an arrant fool", "a complete coward", "a consummate fool", "a double-dyed villain", "gross negligence", "a perfect idiot", "pure folly", "what a sodding mess", "stark staring mad", "a thoroughgoing villain", "utter nonsense", "the unadulterated truth"
• Adj: concerned with theory and data rather than practice; opposed to applied; example: "pure science"
• Adj: (of color) being chromatically pure; not diluted with white or grey or black
• Adj: free from discordant qualities
• Adj: (used of persons or behaviors) having no faults; sinless; examples: "I felt pure and sweet as a new baby"- Sylvia Plat", "pure as the driven snow"
• Adj: in a state of sexual virginity; examples: "pure and vestal modesty", "a spinster or virgin lady", "men have decreed that their women must be pure and virginal"
The ideal of a pure phenomenology will be perfected only by answering this question; pure phenomenology is to be separated sharply from psychology at large and, specifically, from the descriptive psychology of the phenomena of consciousness.
What affected me most profoundly was the realization that the sciences of cryptography and mathematics are very elegant, pure sciences. I found that the ends for which these pure sciences are used are less elegant.
Pure phenomenology claims to be the science of pure phenomena. This concept of the phenomenon, which was developed under various names as early as the eighteenth century without being clarified, is what we shall have to deal with first of all.
Being, belief and reason are pure relations, which cannot be dealt with absolutely, and are not things but pure scholastic concepts, signs for understanding, not for worshipping, aids to awaken our attention, not to fetter it.
However, I don't feel the world is looking over my shoulder when I am working - I never think about this at all. What I think about is trying to make my work pure, and if it is pure then it can be accessible. It is quite straight forward really.
It's to paint directly on the canvas without any funny business, as it were, and I use almost pure turpentine to start with, adding oil as I go along until the medium becomes pure oil. I use as little oil as I can possibly help, and that's my method.
Opera tells stories through the pure emotion of music. An exhibition has to tell a story purely visually. I've tried to incorporate both of those things - pure emotion and being more visual - into my writing.
I address myself to the Communists, to those Communists who were prompted to join the Party by the progressive ideas of mankind and socialism, and not by selfish personal interests - let us represent our pure and just ideas by pure and just means.