• Noun: something left after other parts have been taken away; examples: "there was no remainder", "he threw away the rest", "he took what he wanted and I got the balance"
• Noun: freedom from activity (work or strain or responsibility); example: "took his repose by the swimming pool"
• Noun: a pause for relaxation; example: "people actually accomplish more when they take time for short rests"
• Noun: a state of inaction; example: "a body will continue in a state of rest until acted upon"
• Noun: euphemisms for death (based on an analogy between lying in a bed and in a tomb); examples: "she was laid to rest beside her husband", "they had to put their family pet to sleep"
• Noun: a support on which things can be put; example: "the gun was steadied on a special rest"
• Noun: a musical notation indicating a silence of a specified duration
• Verb: not move; be in a resting position
• Verb: take a short break from one's activities in order to relax
• Verb: give a rest to; examples: "He rested his bad leg", "Rest the dogs for a moment"
• Verb: have a place in relation to something else; examples: "The fate of Bosnia lies in the hands of the West", "The responsibility rests with the Allies"
• Verb: be at rest
• Verb: stay the same; remain in a certain state; examples: "The dress remained wet after repeated attempts to dry it", "rest assured", "stay alone", "He remained unmoved by her tears", "The bad weather continued for another week"
• Verb: be inherent or innate in;
• Verb: put something in a resting position, as for support or steadying; example: "Rest your head on my shoulder"
• Verb: sit, as on a branch; example: "The birds perched high in the tree"
• Verb: rest on or as if on a pillow; example: "pillow your head"
• Verb: be inactive, refrain from acting; example: "The committee is resting over the summer"
You built a factory out there, good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on the roads that the rest of us paid for. You hired workers that the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for.
It is an everlasting desire to make my dreams come true. And it's getting to the point now where it's like, come on I want my dreams to come true so that I can get on with the rest of my life. Sometimes I think about the rest of my life when I'm done.
Higher education is one of few areas where this country competes with the rest of the world and wins. The best of American higher education outstrips any in the world. Look where the rest of the world goes for higher education, for graduate degrees. They come here.
You can't think about how people will perceive you or your character. All you can do is focus on your work. The rest is up to the universe. I've been acting for 16 years. I've done 55 movies and, in all seriousness, there's maybe five that are good and the rest are crap.
The Macintosh having shipped, his next agenda was to turn the rest of Apple into the Mac group. He had perceived the rest of Apple wasn't as creative or motivated as the Mac team, and what you need to take over the company are managers, not innovators or technical people.
After the atomic bombs were dropped, the war ended and we went into Tokyo Bay with the rest of the fleet, the Missouri and the rest of them, while they signed the terms of surrender that ended the war.
Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.