• Noun: a base hit on which the batter stops safely at first base
• Noun: the smallest whole number or a numeral representing this number; examples: "he has the one but will need a two and three to go with it", "they had lunch at one"
• Verb: hit a single; example: "the batter singled to left field"
• Adj: being or characteristic of a single thing or person; examples: "individual drops of rain", "please mark the individual pages", "they went their individual ways"
• Adj: used of flowers having usually only one row or whorl of petals; example: "single chrysanthemums resemble daisies and may have more than one row of petals"
• Adj: existing alone or consisting of one entity or part or aspect or individual; examples: "upon the hill stood a single tower", "had but a single thought which was to escape", "a single survivor", "a single serving", "a single lens", "a single thickness"
• Adj: not married or related to the unmarried state; examples: "unmarried men and women", "unmarried life", "sex and the single girl", "single parenthood", "are you married or single?"
• Adj: characteristic of or meant for a single person or thing; examples: "an individual serving", "single occupancy", "a single bed"
• Adj: having uniform application; example: "a single legal code for all"
• Adj: not divided among or brought to bear on more than one object or objective; examples: "judging a contest with a single eye", "a single devotion to duty", "undivided affection", "gained their exclusive attention"
In the language of poetry, where every word is weighed, nothing is usual or normal. Not a single stone and not a single cloud above it. Not a single day and not a single night after it. And above all, not a single existence, not anyone's existence in this world.
Masterpieces are not single and solitary births; they are the outcome of many years of thinking in common, of thinking by the body of the people, so that the experience of the mass is behind the single voice.
When I'm on tour, I'm in a new city every single night, and the energy and the crowds and the kids and the screaming and them knowing every single word of my music and being onstage is such an energetic feeling with a big payoff.
I was so grateful to have made 'Into the Wild' before I made 'Speed Racer' because on 'Speed Racer' I was indoors every single day, every single scene, on a green screen. Some of the time, just to pass the time, I would think back to climbing mountains in Alaska. That really helped me.
As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.