Sell also: allay, calm, ease, however, hush, inactive, lull, motionless, nevertheless, nonetheless, notwithstanding, placid, quiet, quieten, relieve, silence, silent, smooth, soundless, static, stillness, tranquil, tranquilize, unruffled, withal, yet
• Noun: a static photograph (especially one taken from a movie and used for advertising purposes); example: "he wanted some stills for a magazine ad"
• Noun: (poetic) tranquil silence; example: "the still of the night"
• Noun: an apparatus used for the distillation of liquids; consists of a vessel in which a substance is vaporized by heat and a condenser where the vapor is condensed
• Noun: a plant and works where alcoholic drinks are made by distillation
• Verb: make calm or still; example: "quiet the dragons of worry and fear"
• Verb: cause to be quiet or not talk; example: "Please silence the children in the church!"
• Verb: lessen the intensity of or calm; examples: "The news eased my conscience", "still the fears"
• Verb: make motionless
• Adj: not in physical motion; example: "the inertia of an object at rest"
• Adj: marked by absence of sound; examples: "a silent house", "soundless footsteps on the grass", "the night was still"
• Adj: (of a body of water) free from disturbance by heavy waves; examples: "a ribbon of sand between the angry sea and the placid bay", "the quiet waters of a lagoon", "a lake of tranquil blue water reflecting a tranquil blue sky", "a smooth channel crossing", "scarcely a ripple on the still water", "unruffled water"
• Adj: used of pictures; of a single or static photograph not presented so as to create the illusion of motion; or representing objects not capable of motion; examples: "a still photograph", "Cezanne's still life of apples"
• Adj: not sparkling; examples: "a still wine", "still mineral water"
• Adj: free from noticeable current; examples: "a still pond", "still waters run deep"
• Adv: with reference to action or condition; without change, interruption, or cessation; examples: "it's still warm outside", "will you still love me when we're old and grey?"
• Adv: despite anything to the contrary (usually following a concession); examples: "although I'm a little afraid, however I'd like to try it", "while we disliked each other, nevertheless we agreed", "he was a stern yet fair master", "granted that it is dangerous, all the same I still want to go"
• Adv: to a greater degree or extent; used with comparisons; examples: "looked sick and felt even worse", "an even (or still) more interesting problem", "still another problem must be solved", "a yet sadder tale"
• Adv: without moving or making a sound; examples: "he sat still as a statue", "time stood still", "they waited stock-still outside the door", "he couldn't hold still any longer"
Ten percent of the big fish still remain. There are still some blue whales. There are still some krill in Antarctica. There are a few oysters in Chesapeake Bay. Half the coral reefs are still in pretty good shape, a jeweled belt around the middle of the planet. There's still time, but not a lot, to turn things around.
People think because it's photography it's not worth as much, and because it's a woman artist, you're still not getting as much - there's still definitely that happening. I'm still really competitive when it comes to, I guess, the male painters and male artists. I still think that's really unfair.
The regular guy still relates to him and Howard is a $500 million guy now who dates a model and drives about in a limo all day. But Howard still knows how to make a plumber laugh and those guys still have him on in the morning, because he is a real talent.
When Ben and I first got married and we first had kids, I felt I needed to prove we could still do it and I could still work separately from Ben and I could still work with him. I just let go of all of that now. I said to him, 'For me, a little bit goes a long way.'
I'm only 24 so I like to think I'm still close enough to 17 to still remember what it was like. Besides, I could just fake it and get away with it... it's not like there are any teenagers that still read comics.
I'm still getting used to changing earrings - It still feels really weird to be pushing bits of metal through holes in my earlobes that weren't there a few weeks back, and actually seeing and feeling the holes in my lobes is still a bit freaky.
The progress in Iraq is still fragile. And it could still be reversed. Iraq still faces innumerable challenges, and they will be evident during what will likely be a difficult process as the newly elected Council of Representatives selects the next prime minister, president, and speaker of the council.
They said that Etta James is still vulgar. I said, Oh, how dare them say I'm still vulgar. I'm vulgar because I dance in the chair. What would they want me to do? Want me to just be still or something like that? I've got to do something.
There's still a lot I need to do as a player, as a musician, as a sound creator. I have commissioned 170 pieces: that's still not enough, there are still lots and lots of composers I would like to approach. When I see a composer and I see a performer, I think to combine those forces.
We think the whole world's going to change, and forget that human beings are still human beings; we have the same five senses, we still interact the same way, we still love and hate the same way, but marketers lose track of that. But then it comes down to earth.