Sell also: assure, differentiate, distinguish, evidence, narrate, order, recite, recount, say, separate, state
• Noun: a Swiss patriot who lived in the early 14th century and who was renowned for his skill as an archer; according to legend an Austrian governor compelled him to shoot an apple from his son's head with his crossbow (which he did successfully without mishap)
• Verb: express in words; examples: "He said that he wanted to marry her", "tell me what is bothering you", "state your opinion", "state your name"
• Verb: let something be known; example: "Tell them that you will be late"
• Verb: narrate or give a detailed account of; examples: "Tell what happened", "The father told a story to his child"
• Verb: give instructions to or direct somebody to do something with authority; examples: "I said to him to go home", "She ordered him to do the shopping", "The mother told the child to get dressed"
• Verb: discern or comprehend; example: "He could tell that she was unhappy"
• Verb: inform positively and with certainty and confidence; example: "I tell you that man is a crook!"
• Verb: give evidence; example: "he was telling on all his former colleague"
• Verb: mark as different; example: "We distinguish several kinds of maple"
Tell me I'm clever, Tell me I'm kind, Tell me I'm talented, Tell me I'm cute, Tell me I'm sensitive, Graceful and wise, Tell me I'm perfect - But tell me the truth.
I tell it like it is. I tell it like I see it. I tell it like I envision it. I tell it like I live it.
If you find something to tell, tell it to your truest, though that make little to tell; the truer you speak, the more you will know to tell.
I made a conscious decision not to tell anyone in my life. Now I tell people - don't tell anyone your idea until you have invested enough of yourself in it that you are not going to turn back. When a person has an idea at that conception moment it is the most vulnerable - one negative comment could knock you off course.
Washington couldn't tell a lie, Nixon couldn't tell the truth, and Reagan couldn't tell the difference.
There are many things in your heart you can never tell to another person. They are you, your private joys and sorrows, and you can never tell them. You cheapen yourself, the inside of yourself, when you tell them.
I remember that. I was talking to him and I said how great it would be if actors had a tail because I have animals and a tail is so expressive. On a cat you can tell everything. You can tell if they're annoyed. You can tell whether they're scared.
People tell you the world looks a certain way. Parents tell you how to think. Schools tell you how to think. TV. Religion. And then at a certain point, if you're lucky, you realize you can make up your own mind. Nobody sets the rules but you. You can design your own life.
They think that, if we were just smart enough, we'd be able to understand their policies. And I so want to tell 'em, and I do tell 'em, Oh, we're plenty smart, oh yeah - we know what's goin' on. And we don't like what's goin' on. And we're not gonna let them tell us to sit down and shut up.
I think my books talk about kids learning to like and respect themselves and each other. You can't write a message book; you just tell the best story you know how to tell.
They allow us to disrespect our Black woman. A lot of these things would be considered criminal if it were to be carried out in the streets. That's like when they tell you after you buy your VHS and you rent movies they tell you not to copy the movies.
The rise of anime had to happen. If the Japanese could tell better American stories, it would go through the roof. They still tell stories which are very much oriental. I take my hat off to them.
Acting allows me to tell a lot of stories, you know start at the beginning, finish at the end, and tell everything in between. Modelling is just an image.
I'll just tell you the way it is. You ask me what time it is and I'm gonna tell you how to build a clock.
My friend, I am going to tell you the story of my life, as you wish; and if it were only the story of my life I think I would not tell it; for what is one man that he should make much of his winters, even when they bend him like a heavy snow?
When I talk to people in need, they tell me they want to hope; they are eager for opportunity; they are ready for better days. And I can tell you that every time their hopes are disappointed, all nations lose.
I tell kids to pursue their basketball dreams, but I tell them to not let that be their only dream.
I'll also tell you that five hundred thousand people will die this year of cancer. And I'll also tell you that one in every four will be afflicted with this disease, and yet, somehow, we seem to have put it in a little bit of the background.
If you do not tell the truth about yourself you cannot tell it about other people.
I'm old enough and cranky enough now that if someone tried to tell me what to do, I'd tell them where to put it.