• Noun: a special situation; examples: "this thing has got to end", "it is a remarkable thing"
• Noun: an action; example: "how could you do such a thing?"
• Noun: an artifact; example: "how does this thing work?"
• Noun: an event; example: "a funny thing happened on the way to the..."
• Noun: a statement regarded as an object; examples: "to say the same thing in other terms", "how can you say such a thing?"
• Noun: any attribute or quality considered as having its own existence; example: "the thing I like about her is ..."
• Noun: a special abstraction; examples: "a thing of the spirit", "things of the heart"
• Noun: a vaguely specified concern; examples: "several matters to attend to", "it is none of your affair", "things are going well"
• Noun: an entity that is not named specifically; example: "I couldn't tell what the thing was"
• Noun: a special objective; example: "the thing is to stay in bounds"
• Noun: a persistent illogical feeling of desire or aversion; examples: "he has a thing about seafood", "she has a thing about him"
• Noun: a separate and self-contained entity
The important thing isn't the house. It's the ability to make it. You carry that in your brains and in your hands, wherever you go... It's one thing to carry your life wherever you go. Another thing to always go looking for it somewhere else.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
Agriculture is now a motorized food industry, the same thing in its essence as the production of corpses in the gas chambers and the extermination camps, the same thing as blockades and the reduction of countries to famine, the same thing as the manufacture of hydrogen bombs.
When I attack a role, be it TV, film or stage, the first thing I say is, I don't want to know anything. If it's good I don't want to hear it; if it's bad I don't want to hear it. The only thing either thing can do is distract me. I like to stay focused.
If it's a cocktail party, I generally make five or six different things, and I try to choose recipes that feel like a meal: a chicken thing, a fish or shrimp thing, maybe two vegetable things, and I think it's fun to end the cocktail party with a sweet thing.
What is special about VOIP is that it's just another thing you can do on the Internet, whereas it is the only thing - or nearly the only thing with the exception of the dial-up modem and fax - that you can do on the public switched telephone network.
Democracy is never a thing done. Democracy is always something that a nation must be doing. What is necessary now is one thing and one thing only that democracy become again democracy in action, not democracy accomplished and piled up in goods and gold.