Sell also: adjudicate, assay, attempt, effort, endeavor, endeavour, essay, examine, hear, judge, prove, render, sample, seek, strain, stress, taste, test
• Noun: earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something; examples: "made an effort to cover all the reading material", "wished him luck in his endeavor", "she gave it a good try"
• Verb: make an effort or attempt; examples: "He tried to shake off his fears", "The infant had essayed a few wobbly steps", "The police attempted to stop the thief", "He sought to improve himself", "She always seeks to do good in the world"
• Verb: put to the test, as for its quality, or give experimental use to; examples: "This approach has been tried with good results", "Test this recipe"
• Verb: put on trial or hear a case and sit as the judge at the trial of; examples: "The football star was tried for the murder of his wife", "The judge tried both father and son in separate trials"
• Verb: take a sample of; examples: "Try these new crackers", "Sample the regional dishes"
• Verb: examine or hear (evidence or a case) by judicial process; examples: "The jury had heard all the evidence", "The case will be tried in California"
• Verb: give pain or trouble to; example: "I've been sorely tried by these students"
• Verb: test the limits of; example: "You are trying my patience!"
• Verb: melt (fat or lard) in order to separate out impurities; examples: "try the yak butter", "render fat in a casserole"
• Verb: put on a garment in order to see whether it fits and looks nice; example: "Try on this sweater to see how it looks"
It doesn't matter if you try and try and try again, and fail. It does matter if you try and fail, and fail to try again.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, try, try again.
When teachers try to teach, nurses try to nurse, small businesses try to serve their clients and the police try to arrest criminals, there is always a regulator or three breathing down their necks. Conservatives want to make people's lives easier.
The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent, experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it, if it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
There is a spell in mediaeval Art which has had power to bewitch some people into trying, or wishing to try, or fancying that they wish to try or making believe to fancy that they wish to try, to bring back the Middle Ages.
I just try to do what I have to do and let the people out there do what they have to do, which is have fun, scream, yell and jump around. I try to do what I have to do, which is play baseball, and I can only play in that piece of area there, so that's what I try to do.
I try not to be but I'm super-neurotic about diet. I'm neurotic about trying not to be neurotic! I'm like every other girl. I have to try really hard my whole life to try to be fit. And I'm super-vain. And I want to wear cute clothes.
Try, try, try, and keep on trying is the rule that must be followed to become an expert in anything.
I try to get that across in the work, to try to, if I'm lucky, to make this world a little bit better for all of us before I check out. And that's if I'm lucky, I don't always get to have that privilege but I try always.
I really do try hard to be a good teammate. I can't run very fast, but I try to always run hard. I may strike out a lot, but I try to walk to set up the guys who are hitting after me.
I want every man on the force to try his best, his level best, to try to avoid arresting anyone. I know that this going to take great will power but try.
I don't make a habit of watching tennis matches, but I try to watch all the major finals. I try to make time for that. So unless I have something going with the kids where I can't, I try to watch, and I enjoy that.
The women's movement is taking a different form right now, and it is because it has been so effective and so successful that there's a huge counter movement to try to stop it, to try to divide women from one another, to try to almost foment divisiveness.
Yes, I, well, when I write, as often as I can, I try to write as if I'm talking to people. It doesn't always work, and one shouldn't always try it, but I try and write as if I am talking, and trying to engage the reader in conversation.
What I try to impart to a musician is to really try to practice the instrument in a really sincere way. Learn as much about music as you possibly can. Learn composition. Study to try to create compositions of your own and put your own personal touch on your music.
I try and spend a lot of time with my kids. I try and have fun with my kids. I try to put father time in there.
Don't try to be like me. Try to be like yourself. Try to be very good at being yourself.
I would love to try to win another game. Obviously, it's more fun when you win. I'd rather try and not win than not try at all.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
My life isn't that dramatic. My dad really loves me, he just can't talk on the phone. He's too crippled and shy, and that's almost harder. He's there and he loves me, and I try and try and try, it's just impossible to have a relationship.