• Noun: a deep hole or shaft dug or drilled to obtain water or oil or gas or brine
• Noun: a cavity or vessel used to contain liquid
• Noun: an abundant source; example: "she was a well of information"
• Noun: an open shaft through the floors of a building (as for a stairway)
• Noun: an enclosed compartment in a ship or plane for holding something as e.g. fish or a plane's landing gear or for protecting something as e.g. a ship's pumps
• Verb: come up, as of a liquid; examples: "Tears well in her eyes", "the currents well up"
• Adj: in good health especially after having suffered illness or injury; at least I feel well"; examples: "appears to be entirely well", "the wound is nearly well", "a well man", "I think I'm wel"
• Adj: resulting favorably; examples: "its a good thing that I wasn't there", "it is good that you stayed", "it is well that no one saw you", "all's well that ends well"
• Adj: wise or advantageous and hence advisable; example: "it would be well to start early"
• Adv: (often used as a combining form) in a good or proper or satisfactory manner or to a high standard (`good' is a nonstandard dialectal variant for `well'); examples: "the children behaved well", "a task well done", "the party went well", "he slept well", "a well-argued thesis", "a well-seasoned dish", "a well-planned party", "the baby can walk pretty good"
• Adv: thoroughly or completely; fully; often used as a combining form; examples: "The problem is well understood", "she was well informed", "shake well before using", "in order to avoid food poisoning be sure the meat is well cooked", "well-done beef", "well-satisfied customers", "well-educated"
• Adv: indicating high probability; in all likelihood; examples: "I might well do it", "a mistake that could easily have ended in disaster", "you may well need your umbrella", "he could equally well be trying to deceive us"
• Adv: (used for emphasis or as an intensifier) entirely or fully; examples: "a book well worth reading", "was well aware of the difficulties ahead", "suspected only too well what might be going on"
• Adv: to a suitable or appropriate extent or degree; examples: "the project was well underway", "the fetus has well developed organs", "his father was well pleased with his grades"
• Adv: favorably; with approval; examples: "their neighbors spoke well of them", "he thought well of the book"
• Adv: to a great extent or degree; examples: "I'm afraid the film was well over budget", "painting the room white made it seem considerably (or substantially) larger", "the house has fallen considerably in value", "the price went up substantially"
• Adv: with great or especially intimate knowledge; example: "we knew them well"
• Adv: with prudence or propriety; examples: "You would do well to say nothing more", "could not well refuse"
• Adv: with skill or in a pleasing manner; examples: "she dances well", "he writes well"
• Adv: in a manner affording benefit or advantage; examples: "she married well", "The children were settled advantageously in Seattle"
• Adv: in financial comfort; examples: "They live well", "she has been able to live comfortably since her husband died"
• Adv: without unusual distress or resentment; with good humor; examples: "took the joke well", "took the tragic news well"
If my kids are doing well, then my life is going pretty well. And if my kids aren't doing well, it doesn't matter how the other elements of my life are. It's kind of amazing to have a context like that. This is really wonderful.
I've tried to handle winning well, so that maybe we'll win again, but I've also tried to handle failure well. If those serve as good examples for teachers and kids, then I hope that would be a contribution I have made to sport. Not just basketball, but to sport.
What another would have done as well as you, do not do it. What another would have said as well as you, do not say it; what another would have written as well, do not write it. Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself-and thus make yourself indispensable.
I never thought of myself as being a good songwriter. There are a ton of other people that are good songwriters, but I don't think I'm in the club. What I do well is perform, sometimes sing pretty good, and accompany myself well and arrange fairly well.
That feeds anger, and I mean when we went and at last thank heavens got towards peace in Northern Ireland we went for justice within Northern Ireland as well as using security well, as well as a political settlement, but surely that is the lesson.
Well, Well, Well, its certainly a compelling provocative exciting delicious to think about idea, smart people say the universe is so big there must be something statistically it could be likely there could be something happening on some other world.
If a prospective Presidential approach can't be explained clearly enough to be understood well, it probably hasn't been thought through well enough. If not well understood by the American people, it probably won't "sail" anyway. Send it back for further thought.
Well I think if you really go out with someone for quite a long time you do get to know each other very, very well, you go through the good times, you go through the bad times. You know both personally, but also within a relationship as well.
No, we'll never get back together. We'll remain friends, but I see her going in a completely different direction than me musically. But she'll end up doing really well if she continues on the path she's on. Because she's doing something very original.
I believe in an America in which the fruits of productivity and prosperity are shared by all, by workers as well as owners, by those at the bottom as well as those at the top; an America in which the sacrifices required by national security are shared by all, by profiteers in the back offices as well as volunteers on the front lines.
The first Halloween was very well made. The second one was also well made, though I didn't like it as well as the first one. The third one had nothing to do with the series at all and perhaps shouldn't have been made at all.